Replacement Gas Tanks

HotRodTractor

I tried searching on here with no luck.... What are all the replacement gas tanks that are available for the P15? I've done some googling and see a smooth tank and I see a tank that looks like an OEM replacement. does anyone have any experience with either of these? Just looking for a good quality replacement that doesn't have to match OEM.

ive bought several new old style tanks from Vintage American Parts (Michael Warshaw) in NY. He advertises on eBay also. The tanks are good quality, well made, and pretty faithful to the original design. 

Updating this response with picture I had taken at the time I replaced the tank.  They show side by side comparison and a (upside down) shot of the gas pick-up and drain internal to the new tank.

GAS TANKS INTERNAL.jpg

GAS TANKS.jpg

Edited by Mark D
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bingster said:

Didn't I see on here awhile back that Andy B. has some pretty good and authentic tanks?

Chris Paquin (the new owner of Bernbaums) also sells the same tank.

4 hours ago, 37silverstreak said:

Check out Ebay, there are quite a few there. Thats where I bought mine last year and I was very happy with it.

That was one spot I had started looking and that was when I found there were at least two different people making tanks. Which one did you go with? The more OEM looking tank, or the "simpler" hot rod type tank.

I'm leaning more towards OEM only because it looks like I might get more capacity. 17 gallons versus 15 gallons.

1 minute ago, HotRodTractor said:

That was one spot I had started looking and that was when I found there were at least two different people making tanks. Which one did you go with? The more OEM looking tank, or the "simpler" hot rod type tank.

I'm leaning more towards OEM only because it looks like I might get more capacity. 17 gallons versus 15 gallons.

I got the OEM looking tank. It's almost identical to the original and it fit right in.

• Like 1

If you buy a new tank don't make the mistake that I did.  Many years ago, probably 15 - 20 purchased an NOS tank from Andy Berbaum,   Before putting it on the car, coated the inside with a sealer.  Several months later went through several fuel pumps, at that time there were two thories, one was it was due to the alcohol in the gasoline causing he rubber in the pump to become soft and another was that particles from the coating were affecting the pump, we did see a couple of particles when one of the pumps after disassembled.  Spoke with Bill Hirsch, he indicated that the sealer should not be used in new tanks, the tank should be used for awhile.  He indicated that MEK could be used to dissolve the coating.  I ended up replacing the tank with a fuel cell, as I don't have the area to use MEK and installed an electric fuel pump.  Recently ordered a stainless tank from Rock Valley, the fuel cell takes up too much trunk space.

Regards, Rich

I bought a smooth one  about three years and disappointed it didn't have a drain plug.  Does the OEM reproduction ones have the drain plug ?  Nice to drain the tank here in the Fall and start with new gas in the Spring.

22 hours ago, HotRodTractor said:

I tried searching on here with no luck.... What are all the replacement gas tanks that are available for the P15? I've done some googling and see a smooth tank and I see a tank that looks like an OEM replacement. does anyone have any experience with either of these? Just looking for a good quality replacement that doesn't have to match OEM.

I have seen Jeep XJ tanks on ebay, that may fit.  

200.JPG

I haven't received the stainless one ordered yet from Rock Valley, takes a few months.  I believe the cost to install a drain plug was around $20, also installed a new sending unit that will work with current fuel gauge from around $25.00.  The tank was not cheap, however the car sits most of the time in an attached garage and was concerned with gasoline in an 80 year old tank.  After the issue with the tank sealer, and the fuel cell taking up space decided to go with a stainless one.  Their phone # is 1-815-645-2271 & 1-800-344-1934.  Tanks are grouped by years and capacity and probably priced differently.   For their literature, their tank models for 1941 to 48 Ply & Dodges are 619-1050 (stock capacity), 619-1050-TB and 619-1050-TPI with pump installed.

• Like 1

I just put one in from Vintage American Parts.  Looks just like the OEM tank.  I got mine with new straps, sending unit and gasket.  Not the cheapest thou but fit right in and Mike covered the the shipping. This was for a 1940 P10.

IMG_6790[1].JPG

Edited by RickB
added pic
  • Like 1

What kind of metal finish is insidethe tank... like original nice zinc? or just raw un coated metal?

Does the black paint scratch  easily to bare un coated  metal?