Converting 6v to 12v

martin53

Ok I'm installing a 318/904 setup engine is in and got it running. Switched all light bulbs to 12v. Disconnected radio, heaters and horns untill I get reducers. What else an I missing. I know I need to swap the am gauge but does the panel lights get swapped over too. Main reason asking is my dome light and dash light stays on when all of the dash knobs are off. Not sure what it could be.

The Amp meter gauge is fine, just reverse the connections., so it reads positive when running the engine and charging. As to the lights staying on - sounds like a wiring issue. Did you change your wiring harness ? Also know that there is a switch on the door pillar that runs the dome light, is it on ? Yes the dash lights need to be 12 v equivalents.

The horns should be okay as long as you only use them in a short burst. Fuel gauge can use a runtz resistor to drop voltage. Heater and other motors will need a 12 v motor or a steady state voltage reducer - since the load on them is variable. If you have a two speed fan switch you could just use the low speed which is about 6v full using 12 v input. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, davesrus said:

Here's another option. This battery is 6v and 12v.

http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/accessories.html

I had one of these in my P15 back in the 70s when I lived in Indianapolis. Actually worked quite well in the winter.

Just has a little frankenstein look to it.  

I have been running a 318 Poly & cast iron torqueflite since 1973 in my 1940 Dodge on 12 volts..........all stock gauges work, the Amp gauge reads Amps, the temp gauge is mechanical, the Oil gauge is mechanical and the fuel guage has a voltage drop resistor, its not 100% accurate but after 45 yrs I'm used to it......I rewired the car back then, all the stock instrument lights work with 12 volt globes as all the various head, tail and stop lights........late model aftermarket horn, electric Leyland cable wiper, aftermarket Cd, 16" electric fan..........your radio and heater maybe  problems with leaving them 6volts but it depends how its all done..................andyd