Wanting to update P15 with 06 charger hemi and parts

David T

Just now, Plymouthy Adams said:

skinning the charger and grafting you body will be ultimate in time, cost, loss of originality and interrupted interior flow.  Front clip, simple, cost effective, maintains cars original lines, stance and mimics suspension albeit with larger modern discs, R&P, massive sway bar and host of other improvement like shock absorbers even.  Your car, your call, will never talk you out of what you want......but you went from clip to skinning by looking at one you tube video.   Film clip and magazine articles do not get the job done...though I will ad there may be some fun in looking at both.

Actually I have been bouncing that around for several  months..LOL...just not on here.   I agree with the front clip assessment 100%.  Keep it coming, like I said, I am all ears.

yes I can see by reading your post there are a lot of unmade decisions and little commitment.  THIS IS GOOD for at the moment the car is not suffering in loss in any manner.  The invasion of the frame in form of a clip is less than permanent in going back stock and done right one will not know that it was done.  The skinning of the Charger is a step one can take and see if feasible without yet voiding the integrity of the original P15 body.  As stated, both are doable but at what cost in time money and very importantly, tools space and skills in fabricating.

The quick fix as far as time and money well spent, best outcome with less invasion is the R&P, disc brakes, relocated shocks and drive that sucker.

Right now you on the fence...probably the best place to be till all factors are considered, x measurements done....and fewer convenience stores being robbed in your area.....lol

19 hours ago, David T said:

Another good option.  I could simply keep the motor/trans.  Update brakes/steering and rear end just to be able to cruise around Houston.  I am not too opposed to that either.

With some patience, and diligence shopping for parts - this is a very solid and reliable option. Last fall I picked up a P15 that I easily consider daily driver capable. I'm slowly working on some small issues to make it a rock solid driver (new electrical, minor fuel system stuff, etc....). It has a 251 Desoto engine with dual carbs, dual exhaust, T5 transmission, updated rear axle, disc brakes, etc... It moves out very well. I've put roughly 50 some miles on it while working through stuff and am quite pleased. It will easily start, keep up with traffic on the interstate, stops reliably, and anything else that you might want in a driver. I lucked out - someone had already done the heavy lifting on this ride (Don Coatney), but I also know that everything done can be done quickly and easily on a budget. I know because I already own a similar set of drivetrain parts for my Pilothouse pickup that I acquired over the course of time.

• Like 1

A very common trend is developing where-in people are using complete late model chassis' under their older bodied vehicles. A friend of mine has done a couple of mid '60's F100 with Ford Crown Vicy chassis'. I have a very rare '64 C10 Rail Road trk, a club cab 2 dr with a back seat. We put the complete chassis, power-train, from a '98 C-10 under the truck. Worked great, the truck is a pleasure to drive and a real head turner. Used Vintage Aire in the truck in lieu of the GM unit.. We had to salvage the front portion of the floor pan to accommodate the 4L60 trans and lower section of the firewall from the 98 C-10 to accommodate the peddle assembly/steering column.