New Member - New Project '49 Flatbed

maxmac

Just acquired this truck from a co-worker who needed it disappeared to make room for other projects.  It's a '49 and is basically complete, except at some point in its life, the original engine & drive train were replaced with a Chevy 350/TH400.  It's been sitting for some time but is in great shape!  

I'm sure I'll have questions as this type/vintage is new to me.  My other project is a '65 Town Wagon and after almost 7 years of working on that one, I'm still learning new things on it!!!!

Any comments on what this truck is are appreciated. I'm just starting to go through it and get it running again!

IMG_0921~2.jpg

MVIMG_20181028_112827.jpg

Its  a 5 window 1 ton maybe? Hard to tell 48 from 49 without paperwork.....

That looks like a 49 chevy grille on the floor.

Whats the parts list look like? 

What's the engine plan?

welcome.

48D

Front looks original 1 ton 6 lug wheel. Rear axle/duallies look newer. Hard to tell from the pics, but the steering looks like it has been changed. I would love to see more pics of the drive train and steering. Appears to be very close to what I am doing with my 47 - only sticking with Mopar.

Looks like a great project.

From what I've gathered it's a '49 1-ton.  It does have a late 70's Chevy 350 in it and what appears to be a TH400 trans...  I spent some time yesterday draining fluids and prepping the motor to fire it up.  Need to do some wiring work and get the front end put back together.   It has a new master cylinder and booster so I'll probably scrap the front drums for a Scarebird disk set up if I can.  Need to do some more research on the correct setup for this.  If the drums are OK I may just leave that as is for now.  Main motivation at the moment is to get it running and then go from there.  

I do have the front clip and all of the emblems.  All of the important parts appear to be there.  The steering needs to be reconnected but it does appear to be original.  I can get more pics today of the steering and rear end.  Need to get the ID's off the motor, trans and rear end.  

I just picked it up 2 weeks ago and began the work yesterday.  Will continue some of that today and hopefully have a fully functioning truck in the not to distant future!  Wish it had a Mopar power plant but I couldn't pass it up!!

• Like 1