1948 Dodge Truck gear shift removal

Gaige

I am trying to pull the engine out with the transmission attached. All bolts, master cylinder, foot pedals are off. I am just stuck getting the shifter off. I thought it would be something simple. Any help would be appreciated. 

You cannot just pull the shift lever out.

You need to remove the complete top cover with the shifter rod attached.

The shifter lever is removed from beneath the shifter cover if need be.

• Like 1

Thank you Zen Master ,,!,!   After digging through all the crud, I was able to find the bolts. They came right off and I proceeded to take the engine and transmission out altogether in 1piece. 

This is a dually stake body truck that had sit since 1978 in a Kansas barn. My 15 year old grandson (Gaige)  bought it for a dollar and trailered it to Ohio with his dad.  But his interest seems to fade in and out to work on it. By far, I have never done a project like this before, so, I will have plenty of questions. 

I hope you all don’t mind. 

Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, Gaige said:

Thank you Zen Master ,,!,!   After digging through all the crud, I was able to find the bolts. They came right off and I proceeded to take the engine and transmission out altogether in 1piece. 

This is a dually stake body truck that had sit since 1978 in a Kansas barn. My 15 year old grandson (Gaige)  bought it for a dollar and trailered it to Ohio with his dad.  But his interest seems to fade in and out to work on it. By far, I have never done a project like this before, so, I will have plenty of questions. 

Thanks again. 

Where are you at in Ohio?

On 11/10/2018 at 7:17 PM, Gaige said:

Thanks again. 

Welcome, you are in the right place to ask questions. There is a lot of knowledgeable help here.

On 11/11/2018 at 8:06 AM, JBNeal said:

I spy a Plymouth exhaust manifold...to save ya some headaches down the road, be sure to verify the engine particulars so you get the right gaskets, seals, etc. :cool:

???