Change a 39 Ply Business Coupe (P8) to a floor shift

Richard Cope

Next summer I want to use my 39 P8 Ply Business Coupe more than in the past, therefore need  to make it more reliable.  Only happen a couple of times, however the gear **** on the column locked up at the most inconvenient times.   I want to change shifting to a floor shift, until I can locate a good shift cable.  I purchased a transmission, was told came from a 39 Ply.  I wasn't able to verify the numbers, however appears to be same in shape and dimensions as my current which uses a gear shift on the column, with the exception that the brake band appears to be heavier built.  I have attached a photo of my current one, before it was put in the car and the floor shift version just received.  I only want to change the  shifting mechanism on the top of the transmission not the complete transmission.  It appears that if I change the two flat bars (one is raised upward on the floor model) from the floor shift  to mine and use the cover with the shifter it will work.  Am I missing something,  seems too easy?  The spring is firmly attached on the underside of the shifter.    Does anything  go on the underside to help keep the "socket" lubricated? 

Appreciate everyone's help and thank you in advance.

Regards,

Richard

Column shift.png

Column shift pn#.png

Floor shift.png

Side floor shift.png

Floor shift pn#.png

Shift lever.png

Underside.png

I think you are correct as to what to do... easy!

I already did this to my 39 because of a worn cable end and not enough left to make it adjustable to shift into 1st and reverse. You have the parts correct. All that's needed is the top shifter and the proper plates. You got it.

I've been debating whether to remove the column shifter or just leave it intact and fix it into the reverse/2nd gear position. I don't know what option it could be used for?

above advice is good.   I may have a cable.  PM if interested.   I believe you will be happier with the floor shift.

there is no special need for lubrication on the  "ball"  but a dust boot must be installed on the top side.

As looked at earlier pictures, I was thinking the shifter rails were different and the main trans box May not have been relieved on the pass side for a longer front protruding  rail but the pics were not at a angle to be sure, yes or no.

This was mentioned in the post from John Reddie above.

DJ

Like to thank everyone for your input, really appreciate.  As I recall there is a circular cutout  in the floor above the transmission with a cover, will the shifter align with this hole or will another hole have to be cut.   I would probably leave the shift lever on the column, however recently came across a banjo steering wheel and when changing wheels will probably remove the lever.  Will leave the cable in place so that it wouldn't take too much to switch back to a column shift.  This is going to be a winter project, as want to enjoy  the car a few more weeks before the weather sets in.  While the floor is out will be a good time to put the radio back in and change some gauges out.  Does anyone know if there is a rubber boot available for the inside portion of the shifter for the P7 or possibly a universal one that works?   Once again, many thanks!

Regards, Richard

20 hours ago, Dennis Detweiler said:

I already did this to my 39 because of a worn cable end and not enough left to make it adjustable to shift into 1st and reverse. You have the parts correct. All that's needed is the top shifter and the proper plates. You got it.

I've been debating whether to remove the column shifter or just leave it intact and fix it into the reverse/2nd gear position. I don't know what option it could be used for?

giant turn signal lever???