What is this?

willits18

I have never seen one of these before. This is under the hood of my 1950 Dodge B2D pickup truck.  This is the first Dodge truck this old I have worked on.  There is a cable and wire to open and close this in the cab. I couldn't find anything about this in my shop manual. It doesn't look like any type of heating device. There is a vent in the cowl.  Any help appreciated. Thanks, Tracy. 

PB080123.JPG

The two tubes look like some kind of elaborate venting so water can’t get in or something? They are open at the bottom edge right?

The case looks like it could have a motor in it?

And the coat of arms logo is pretty cool too. The last mystery on here (possible keyhook turns out to be a pivot for a bus driver style fan) was a juicy one I hope we get to the bottom of this.

And I couldn’t help hitting like on Plymouthy’s post- it wasn’t helpful but “fartwhipper” has such a nice ring to it and those could be spark arrestors in case the electric motor reacts badly with the methane...

As near as I can tell there has never been any electrical connections at all. There is no motor in it. There is a cable that connects to it from the dash panel on the inside. It seems like some kind of venting system but there is no tube to the interior of the truck. The truck was a farm truck in south central Nebraska for over 50 years. I have just never seem any thing like it before. I will probably have to take it off to see what it is and does-if I can figure it out!?

2 hours ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

you may wish to investigate some of the hardware associated with milking machines that run off engine vacuum.....

That is a possibility, but I have never seen a rig like that and I have seen a pretty good amount of dairy collectible over the years. Its not uncommon to find an old farm vehicle with a vacuum port to hook up to an old pulsator.