I've just acquired a 1941Plymouth bodied or Canadian Dodge Coupe also called Dodge Kingsway with a DP11 engine. Looking for any information and especially the front grille halves which are missing.

A number of these cars with the 3 and one eighth inch bore engine were exported to South Africa.

Can anyone please help?

Hello from Canada - I will ask some local guys here in Winnipeg about your grill. I suggest that you take a look at the "kijiji" sites for each of the Canadian provinces to see if someone out there has the grill. Also, although others will know better than I, I think that Plymouths re-badged as Dodges were also distributed in Australia. I do not think that the grill from a US Dodge will fit your car - but I stand to be corrected.

I know that this doesn't help you in your search for the grille but I owned a South African 1941 Plymouth P11 ASC(Auxillary Seat Coupe) from 2007 to 2013, sold it like a fool, it was an older restoration when I got it, it was a Detroit export car, my understanding was that Chrysler opened an assembly plant in Sth Sfrica in 1941, built a few hundred cars and closed it soon after Pearl Harbour, these US style coupes were never sold here in Oz, as far as I was aware this car had the standard 201, the engine number started with P11.........the other pic is of my Oz built 1940 Dodge D15D Sedan, note the Dodge grille but Plymouth hood, fenders headlights, tailights and Plymouth wheelbase......................regards, Andy Douglas     

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

IMG_1357.JPG

P1000695 (800x600).jpg

P1000697 (800x600).jpg

Hi Andy, 

I don't think any of the 1941 Plymouths were assembled in South Africa....this happened much later during the Valiant era.

The 1941 Plymouth Coupe is my favourite car and I have 2 restored versions presently running and two others which are about 70 per cent restored.

Also have a 1940 Plymouth P10 and notice the identical fenders and headlights and tail lights to your Dodge. I have seen other 1940 Plymouth bodied Dodges but never one with a slant back like yours.

The guy I bought the 41 Plymouth Coupe from was a South African and it was he who told me 1st about there being a Plymouth assembly plant that opened in Sth Sfrica in 1941, he said that it was only open for a few months then closed till after the end of WW2. John Lee's book, "Standard catalog of Chrysler 1924-1990", published 1990 states that the assembly plant opened in Sth Africa in 1941 and closed in 1942 only to reopen in 1946, this is mentioned at the end of the 1941 Plymouth section only, the sections for Chrysler, De Soto and Dodge for the year 1941 have NO mention of this overseas assembly plant which makes me think that it was only for Plymouth assembly which maybe possible tho' I'd think unusual however it maybe the reason...........here in Oz at least in 1940 whilst the mopar cars were assembled with Oz made bodies the rolling chassis, drivetrain, and bolt on parts such as fenders & hood, grilles etc appear to have been imported.........I have been playing with Oz 1940 Dodges since 1969(I was 15yrs old) and apart from 1 car the 20 odd 1940 Oz Dodges I've seen or the 6 I've parted out all had the same 1940 Plymouth fenders etc that my car has........the one exception was a 1940 Dodge sedan that did indeed have the US short hood, triple stamped fender molding and twin parking light headlight surrounds and 1940 Plymouth tailights BUT on the OZ body shell with the two piece rear window and shaped Oz doors...........the body shell that my car has was introduced in 1939 and used till 1948 with changes to incorporate the 1946-48 tailights, doors, etc ...it was made here in Oz in South Australia by T.J. Richards who were the assemblers then purchased by Chrysler in the 1930's............my original 1940 Dodge was an Australian 1940 Dodge Coupe, this pic is of MY car that apeared in an Oz hot rod magazine in 1972 3 yrs after I bought it and pulled it apart as all 15yr olds tend to do........which is why I then needed a parts car & bought the 4dr sedan in 1971 that I still have, it was too good to part out..........have a also attached a pic of my 1940 Oz coupe the day I sold it in 1985, no idea where it is now............the dark blue coupe is a 1940 Oz Plymouth Coupe, its now a turquoise blue colour.............these Oz 1940 Dodge & Plymouth Coupes are/were quite rare and whilst no one seems to know how many were made its thought that probably no more that 100 of each, if that.........and they were made from a 4dr sedan by cutting off the rear of the roof and the rest was folded, shaped to suit as the 3 1940 coupes I have seen all showed the cut thru the door opening and still with a 4dr sedan centre pillar and steel strap around the trunk opening etc, these Oz 40 coupes used a 4dr sedan front door .....the Coupe trunk lid was the same as used here in Oz from 1935/36 for all roadsters and coupes and even in 1940 still had the recesses on each side for the rumble seat hinges, tho as far as I am aware this feature was not available here in Oz after the 1939 cars, tho' the dark Blue 1940 coupe that I have the pic of has now been conveted to have a rumble seat but when I took that pic in 1974/75 it still had just the trunk lid(see where the handle is).....................lol............shite I rave on..................lol..............regards, andyd               

DodgeStoryCustomRodder1972.jpg

1940DodgePic3.jpg

1940PlymouthPic1.jpg

• Like 1