lifter adjustment question 35,462,165,195,165

nolan in blaine

My 37 royal has what i believe to be a 228
I had adjusted to valves in it a few months back and it was a pain in the ass. Most of the write ups on here i see have a different style lifter then i have. They adjust the valves using two wrenches with the car running. Mine I did cold because i saw no way to do it running. The lifters i have need 3 wrenches to adjust. Took me forever to get them as good as i could. Im getting ready to pull the head and pull the valves to grind them and do the seats. Can i switch over to the other style lifter while i got it apart? What years came with which style?

I did a 30 Chrysler and as I recall it had lock nuts....much more difficult to do than the newer 40's 50's style.

Use patience and check.. re-check clearance.

• Thanks 1

I was a bit disappointed in the fact that my original factory 1936-1941 Plymouth manual did not have a picture of any kind pertaining to the valvetrain other than the small exploded view of the engine.  The adjust procedure itself was completely void in instructions, I was keen to learn the difference.

4 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Can you post a photo of the 3 wrench lifters? Is the third wrench required for a jam nut?

Valvesinstalled.jpg

yes mine have the "jam nut". I also havent seen any write up, pics or in depth discussion on adjusting this style. They do suck though. Ill see about getting a pic of them tonight. I got a busy day in the shop but ill try to get it apart after work. Can the lifters be removed through the covers on the side, or do they need to drop out the bottom? Id like to upgrade them to the later style if possible. 

The lifters are also mounted in two separate " lifter racks" as I remember

.Distributor in the head.

13 hours ago, nolan in blaine said:

My 37 royal has what i believe to be a 228
I had adjusted to valves in it a few months back and it was a pain in the ass. Most of the write ups on here i see have a different style lifter then i have. They adjust the valves using two wrenches with the car running. Mine I did cold because i saw no way to do it running. The lifters i have need 3 wrenches to adjust. Took me forever to get them as good as i could. Im getting ready to pull the head and pull the valves to grind them and do the seats. Can i switch over to the other style lifter while i got it apart? What years came with which style?

You are correct,  228.1 cu in is the engine displacement for the 1937 C16 model. I don't have any pictures but this is from my 1937 shop manual... (note 4)1985883963_tappetadj.png.0ca52ec77da04ce0b93a9e858b796612.png  

Edited by T120

On 11/8/2018 at 9:15 PM, nolan in blaine said:

well thats a bummer... seems im stuck with what i got. Ill just be slow and careful about it. Thank you guys!

I'd adjust it hot by running it up to temp shutting off and then adjusting a few. Then run it up to temp again. Not the most convenient but you can get it done in 3-4 cycles