Need Ideas for Converting Coins into Paper Money

JerseyHarold

I have about $50.00 worth of coins and none of the places I've tried (bank, Wal-Mart, supermarket) will take them without charging a fee, whether rolled or loose.   This really bothers me since you are essentially selling your coins to a bank/store at a loss.  Are there alternatives besides paying for everyday purchases with coins?  Does anyone know  banks that don't charge for taking coins (especially in New Jersey)?   Any ideas appreciated.

Harold

I just spent 3 hours counting $540.00 of quarters and wrapping them into rolls...40 quarters a roll.

Loaded them up in a box... took em to my B of A teller.... she gave me $540.00... Five 100's and two 20's. No Charge.

I went and bought a new tool to play with...

IMG_8719.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Bank teller at the bank said, " just roll the quarters and dimes,  dump the rest in a  coin machine,  bring the rolls to me ".   I'am  cheap,  so I roll all my own.. once a year...this year had enough to get a carburetor , a gas tank , and 5 gallons race gas   . It's like free money!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HotRodTractor said:

I've never had a bank want to charge me for coins if I have an account with them.

Seems to be the norm here in Jersey.  The bank we deal with was originally free for customers, then they got rid of the coin machines in most branches, and now they charge everybody to use them.  We get a discounted ripoff fee because we're customers.  Whoopee!

1 hour ago, JerseyHarold said:

Seems to be the norm here in Jersey.  The bank we deal with was originally free for customers, then they got rid of the coin machines in most branches, and now they charge everybody to use them.  We get a discounted ripoff fee because we're customers.  Whoopee!

Can you just deposit it into your account? I can't imagine they could charge you to make a deposit (and if they want to, speak to a manager!).

38 minutes ago, JerseyHarold said:

Lately we've been carrying change and are splitting our smaller purchases into a few singles and the rest in coins.  The cashiers may not like it, but the change jar is getting emptier.

Yeah, that is what I've done too, when the coin inventory builds up. Takes care of the excess a little at a time, and spreads the annoyance factor around. ?

On 11/14/2018 at 4:24 PM, JerseyHarold said:

Lately we've been carrying change and are splitting our smaller purchases into a few singles and the rest in coins.  The cashiers may not like it, but the change jar is getting emptier.

I used to put loose change in my pocket and then into a jar on the dresser in the evening. End result is I had lots of change and was always getting more.

My solution is to have no change jar. My wallet has a small zippered pocket on the outside which I now put any change I receive. Result is I usually have change for cash purchases on hand and I seldom carry more than a dollars worth around. If it gets to be more than that then the wallet starts to bulge and becomes uncomfortable to have in my pocket which reminds me to offer exact change on the next purchase I make.

I rarely carry cash unless I know I'm going to need it, usually only for swap meet or auction purchases. My OL picks up the groceries and whatever clothes I need. She doesn't mind shopping and says picking up jeans and boots for me is easy!! We only go out to eat when there's company around. Since my lil bro retired he's been driving down from Minneapolis every couple of months and I always try to stick him with the check. ?

How about when you do out to have a meal offer to cover the tip.

Bring a jar of coins to leave for the tip!??    ?

Problem solved. Becomes  the waiter/waitress's  problem, novel tipping, may catch on.?  ?

What auto parts place do you frequent most?  Are you very well known, by first name basis?  I worked at an Autozone before retiring and they had to go to the bank and get change all the time.  They would have traded some (Maybe not all at once) for cash or parts if you were well known AND you asked with a pretty please.  For sure would HAVE to be rolled tho.

Same thing applies to other type stores.  Its legal tender so could buy lots of things with rolls as long as they knew they were not getting ripped off.  You will only get by once

I remember when I was a kid they had a cute hand held gizzmo that you counted say 50 pennies for instance and then held the paper tube over the hole they fell into, flipped it upside down and the all funneled into the roll.  It was a funnel on top like a pharmacist uses.  Dont recall if same converted to different coins or separate rain gauge looking thing with funnel

The only place we consistently shop at is the supermarket and they have one of those ripoff coin counter machines (about 12% fee!).  They won't want rolled coins from me.  I've seen those coin-roller devices and they're a good idea.  We've like to count and roll the coins by hand on the kitchen table.

On a somewhat related note, when is the last time anyone found a real silver dime or quarter in your change?  We got a silver quarter about 3 months ago and it was the first one in several years.

If change is hard to deal with why don’t everyone just give it to a good nonprofit organization like your local Lions Club or The Salvation Army.  No more stress and you did something good. 

• Like 4

On 11/15/2018 at 4:44 PM, Frank Elder said:

About three years ago my company went to debit cards instead of direct deposit or paychecks, So i really don’t handle cash anymore ......I pay for everything on my debit card and never receive change from the cash register so I don’t really have that problem anymore.

Glad it is working out for you, can't say I would be as comfortable with that.

some business around here charge a transaction fee when using credit or debit. Even gas stations charge less when using cash.