1949 Plymouth P18 Gear Box oil capacity?

Jorge La Porta

I have two questions about 1949 Plymouth P18 , first is related to gear box capacity? and second is about some noise in gerar box to change second to third in higher speed, if I shift at 15 miles per hour is Ok if speed reach above 20 miles per hour it always dificult to change whithout some noise as a light crash in the gear box, if we use double foot on the clutch is Ok, but just one it sounds a crash on the shift gear ...just it...It is normal for the age of the car and specs of gear box? Thanks for experiences changes.  

From the resources section here:

Fluid Capacity Information
Engine Oil 5 quarts
Fuel Tank 17 Gallons
Rear Axle 3-1/4 pints
Transmission 2-3/4 pints

2nd and 3rd should be synchronized- Is your clutch adjusted correctly?

Use GL1 - GL4 oil only, GL5 may damage your yellow metals (brass blocking rings).  If someone has put GL5 oil in, Particularly older GL5, that might be the cause of your shifting issue.  Some of the new GL5 oil is listed as yellow metal safe but I don't buy it.  You could also have a worn synchronizer assy.  I would try the correct oil first GL1-GL4, GL1 is sold at NAPA

Adam

Edited by Adam H P15 D30
  • Like 1

Adam, thanks to reply, I am in Brazil but our oil here is SAE 90 API GL-4, so what you recomended. So if I understood correctly it is not normal to have a slight crash on gear box from second to third at higher speed ( above 20 miles per hour)???? A worn clutch can be a problem?,,,,,what is amazing to me is nothing happens at slow speed that can be explained by a worn clutch. I rebuild the clutch during restoration process. Car is OK right now it is running very well, but the noise during gear shift is disturbing me... and I dont want to remove clutch again to rebuild.......but maybe it will be necessary ........

IMG-20170328-WA0032.jpg

IMG-20170328-WA0025.jpg

DSC05524.JPG

DSC03273.JPG

Hello Jorge- GL4 is just fine, wish we could get it here. My trans grinds a little downshifting to second but it’s 70 years old so I put up with it but technically it shouldn’t. A mis adjusted or dragging  clutch could also cause a grind but you would probably have issues with every gear.  Probably a worn blocking ring on the 2-3 synchronizer.  I also want to say that you did a beautiful job restoring that car. Be proud of your work!

Adam

Thanks Adam,  I will try to remember about a 70 years old car and be more patient in my car rides, and maybe car will be ok for more 70 years,, In truth thats a strong car , considering that I decided to rebuilt it .........................Plymouth was in a bad shape as you see in the pictures but all pieces were restoring and just three things are not original, 12 Volts in place of 6 Volts but just change dinamo by alternator , start motor is the same and it is not possible to turn on the electrical 6 volts choke but it is there and possible to work , an auxiliary fan ( I leave in Sao Paulo and traffic is a mass)  and a new upholstery ...take a look in old one..............................so thanks for your compliments I do appreciate,,,Regards 

DSC03278.JPG