transmission and fluid couple flush?

Dodgy49

most folks say that there is no need to open the sealed coupler, don't mess with prosperity... If I recall, the newer oils as reported by one avid member here and the Seabolt ratings state that anti-foaming is not as good today as in these originally.  And if I am off in the foaming there was a significant difference.   Will the new stuff work, surely but will it be as good as what you have, some will argue that.    But of course, feel free to do whatever....

The fluid coupling hold 9-10 Quarts....I'd leave it alone.

They can be finicky and sometime leak after changing fluids.. I've been there with customers

.The coupling oil does not turn black unless run severely low and over heated... then it's probably always going to leak.

Go ahead and change the trans and rear axle fluids with the proper fluids.

• Like 1

Search James Douglas here, he did extensive research and testing on FD couplings and posted some very informative results.  Like suggested above, I changed my transmission oil but would never touch my FD coupling unless I had to and it works perfectly.  Attempting to flush it would risk leaks after and there is almost nobody that can fix it.  When you replace the transmission fluid, make sure to use a GL1-GL4 oil, NAPA sells GL1 by the gallon.  GL5 could attack the yellow metals in older gearboxes.

Adam

Edited by Adam H P15 D30
  • Like 1

The car had been sitting outside in Florida for 35 years, I’m just a little suspicious of the overall state of the fluids. It runs and drives but it seems to be struggling at speeds above 40, looking for input and insight.