How many are using gas?

Los_Control

Just curious about mig welding. I see some limitations trying to use flux core and heavier metal.

Wondering if all think that going mig with shielded gas is worth the xtra cost.

I drove 30 miles one way today to buy a bottle of gas, that place said they would only rent me a bottle. If I bought a bottle they would not refill it.

I went back home and called airgas in another town 30 miles away, $185 for the bottle and they exchange bottles when you want to refill ... I liked this.

Then I wonder, is using gas with mig welding really worth it? Or just use fluxcore with no gas and save the trouble.

I only  use C25  mix gas and own my bottles. 

I turn one in they give me another. Always been that way at Airgas for me.

Flux core wire is a hassle IMO. Too much clean up involved and not the best welds.

57 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

I am pretty good at generating a lot of gas.?

I would not like to hear about what it would take to collect and save, compress that Gas for welding purposes, let alone be around when he welded!! 

?

DJ

I own my tank, 130 cu ft and since I don't weld every day  or for long periods when I do, the tank lasts me quite a while, exchange the tank, pay for the gas and a minimal service fee.  I could have got 5 year lease for about 15 bucks less but if I'm still welding stuff in 5 years, i'd have to renew the lease.

Not every gas supplier will sell the tanks and even then, not every size tank is for sale.  You can get by fairly well with flux core on the heavier metal where you can run solid beads, not that much different than a stick welder, but for sheet metal where most of my welding is done, gas does much better.  If you buy a welder, at least buy one with the gas option.

All good tips so far, the 40 cubic foot bottle is $185 at airgas, pretty cheap to refill and they just exchange your bottle with one of theirs.

A 80 cubic ft bottle is almost $400, I wont be welding much and suspect I will go with the 40 cubic ft.

Sounds like a better weld can be had by using gas on sheet metal.

With my welder, trying to weld thicker metal using fluxcore, The heat option maxes out at 100.

It is a 190 welder, but with fluxcore it moderates itself to 100, simply cant get enough heat to get good penetration on thicker metal.

While using gas and mig wire I can turn it up and get more heat.

Still learning and think this is correct .... I have been wrong before

I love welding! Wish I was better at it, but I am getting really good at grinding! Lol 

i also have the "mix"for my mig but, dust off the arc for the thicker metal cause it makes me happy ?

Gas is the only way in my opinion if you want good looking welds.  And unless you're really careful, grinding just weakens the connection.. 

A good looking weld needs no grinding.  With practice, preparation and patience you can get a weld like this,....there is a trick to it 'tho!

Img_8132.jpg

Edited by mrwrstory
added text
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

I am pretty good at generating a lot of gas.?

That makes for crappy welds, other than that said, Flux core has an advantage in windy environments. ?
Under normal conditions I keep 2 bottles, one pure Ar and a Ar/CO2 mix.  Ar is good with aluminum in particular. Ar/CO2 mix is general purpose. I will have to give the straight CO2 a shot on sheet metal but that will mean buying another bottle.

6011 stick is great for welding out doors of general thicker dirty metal projects. 6011 = farm rod.

Mig cannot do that. Mig is for clean thick and thin etc.

There's a purpose for each... tig, stick and gas.

I like em all. Not flux core.

Heavy industry uses flux core on .045 or larger  semi-automatic or automatic welding.

DIY'er not too good.

21 hours ago, johnsartain said:

I will have to give the straight CO2 a shot on sheet metal but that will mean buying another bottle.

I have a tee on my CO2 bottle draft beer dispenser/refrigerator.  Hook the  welder up, turn the valve on and weld away.

Check CL for used bottles. I have been able to pick up a half dozen bottles for Mig and oxy/acetylene. The first time I get them filled, I have to pay for hydro test (usually $15 or $20 bucks) then exchange every time. One local vendor will let me exchange between oxygen, argon, and 75/25 bottles with no additional charge.

I use 75/25 mix for general welding and straight argon for aluminum. When I first bought a Mig Welder, I didn’t think I could justify the extra cost of gas and used strictly flux core wire. Never could get a good looking bead and had lots of splatter. I always thought it was the welder (me or the machine). Took a welding class at the local community college, switched to gas on my personal welder and have never touched flux core wire again.

Personally, I wouldn’t buy the 40 cf bottle. Mine are all 125/130 cf (the largest “personal” bottle). I don’t do a lot of welding but still go through 2 or 3 bottles per year. If you have to drive 30 miles to exchange, the extra cost of the larger bottle would pay for itself in no time.