Bad 230 crank

TylerB46

before searching for a replacement, have you determined that yours is not repairable?  What is bad?  They can be welded and ground, but it can be costly if more that 1 or 2 journals need that. 

For a replacement, you might check with a local rebuilder to see if they have any cores.

Just now, kencombs said:

before searching for a replacement, have you determined that yours is not repairable?  What is bad?  They can be welded and ground, but it can be costly if more that 1 or 2 journals need that. 

For a replacement, you might check with a local rebuilder to see if they have any cores.

It’s at a really good machine shop right now. He said it was bad, I’m not totally sure what the issue is but he said it needs a new one.

230 flatheads were put into many many cars over the years. Check your local craigslist for people dumping engines. You can usually pickup an entire engine for 100-200. Cheaper than VPW no shipping and you might get some other extras like a carb or manifolds. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Young Ed said:

230 flatheads were put into many many cars over the years. Check your local craigslist for people dumping engines. You can usually pickup an entire engine for 100-200. Cheaper than VPW no shipping and you might get some other extras like a carb or manifolds. 

I’ll look, I’ve sorta kept an eye out for vehicles and parts like this but I never seem to have much luck in my area.

10 hours ago, TylerB46 said:

The guy at the machine shop said he may be able to fix it. So I’ll call tomorrow and see what he finds out. If he can’t and I can’t find a decent deal on one, it may just get a v8.

Tyler, it may take a little time but a crank can be found at a reasonable cost. If you can’t afford the VPW price, what do you think it will cost  to buy a V8, get it ready, and install it? Don’t give up on your flathead.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike36 said:

Tyler, it may take a little time but a crank can be found at a reasonable cost. If you can’t afford the VPW price, what do you think it will cost  to buy a V8, get it ready, and install it? Don’t give up on your flathead.

That’s true, and I don’t want to give up on the flathead, the only reason I thought about the v8 was just from aggravation. 

1 hour ago, TylerB46 said:

That’s true, and I don’t want to give up on the flathead, the only reason I thought about the v8 was just from aggravation. 

I can understand that, probably all of us has been there. Hang in there. A year ago I found 2 different guys on Craigslist that had purchased Dodge trucks and pulled the flathead with trans to install a V8. I bought both complete engines with trans still bolted on for $100 each. 6 months ago on Craig’s list I found a free 201 engine complete. All 3 of these guys just wanted them out of their shop.

8 minutes ago, Mike36 said:

I can understand that, probably all of us has been there. Hang in there. A year ago I found 2 different guys on Craigslist that had purchased Dodge trucks and pulled the flathead with trans to install a V8. I bought both complete engines with trans still bolted on for $100 each. 6 months ago on Craig’s list I found a free 201 engine complete. All 3 of these guys just wanted them out of their shop.

I’ll keep an eye out, and plus maybe mine can be fixed, I’ll find out today.

1 hour ago, HotRodTractor said:

Let me confirm this weekend -but I have an engine I stripped down into parts years ago that I think was a 230. I'd sell you the whole pile for $250 - but you would have to come and get it.

Well the guy at the machine shop said he thinks he can fix it, so hopefully he can. If not I may take you up on that.

What exactly is the problem with your crankshaft?

Cracked, bent, needs journals welded up?

Just throwing it out there, I wonder how much difference between the 218 and the 230 engines?

From what I have read, seems it is the crank and rods, block is the same.

So It should be possible to use the 218 crank with 218 rods, if you run across that animal in your search. Seems to me there are more 218 available then the 230.

Also think I read something about the 230 crank having more bolt options for the flywheel, which may or may not affect you with your application.

Myself I would rather have the 230, but if you ran across a decent 218 you could use it for your fresh 230 block.

Usually you hear it the other way around, someone putting 230 crank and rods into a 218 looking for more performance.

I wonder how much difference there really is between the 2?

2 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Just throwing it out there, I wonder how much difference between the 218 and the 230 engines?

From what I have read, seems it is the crank and rods, block is the same.

So It should be possible to use the 218 crank with 218 rods, if you run across that animal in your search. Seems to me there are more 218 available then the 230.

Also think I read something about the 230 crank having more bolt options for the flywheel, which may or may not affect you with your application.

Myself I would rather have the 230, but if you ran across a decent 218 you could use it for your fresh 230 block.

Usually you hear it the other way around, someone putting 230 crank and rods into a 218 looking for more performance.

I wonder how much difference there really is between the 2?

Yeah I mentioned that to the fella at the machine shop, and he said it’s possible, it’d just turn my 230 into a 218. Which is okay I’d just rather have a 230 

I may have missed it, just did not see the option discussed in this thread.

May be that I run in the wrong crowd, I just never had a 230.

My 1949 B1C would have come with a 230, but has a 1937 218 installed.

I was given a 52 plymouth suburban, factory 218 installed.

I bought a rebuilt 52 plymouth 218 engine, still sitting in the shop.

I bought a 49 B1B, it has the original engine installed and I thought I finally got my first 230, nope it is a 1950 218

I wish you luck in your search.

http://www.t137.com/registry/help/otherengines/otherengines.php

This is a good site to check the motor numbers for year and size of motor.

Also a 218 and 230 block are identical. The difference is is the stock of the crank. Matching rods are required to match the crank.

230 rods are shorter than the 218 rods. Evergthing like the pistons, rings, rod and main bearing size are the same.

DJ

• Like 1

Just wanted to add that any 218" 23" block can be changed to a 230 Ci by just changing the crank And rods from any 230 CI motor, so the block # only tells as the built size.

I found a motor that had that change, so? Then motor #'s are not the total answer. Yes the 218's where used in Many Apps from mopar as compared to the 230's.

Also I (from reading this forum) the 25" long blocks have some interchangeable pieces (cranks, rods) that will alter total displacement but have no experience myself

Only way to measure displacement for absolute sure is to measure stroke thru the plug over Piston #6.

DJ