Notice anything different?

BobT-47P15

The mouldings is what imediately bugged me.

I've seen the blinds before.... and have the "Stadco Lifesaver"

I had to replace my original radiator with a new aluminum one this summer.   Did not care for the nice shiny aluminum tank, so I masked off the fin area and painted the top and bottom tanks and side pieces gloss black (Krylon with primer).    Also found a

welding shop that cut out a pie shaped piece from the radiator neck to change it from a 90 degree to approx. 45 degree angle.  

DSC00358.jpg  

DSC00355.jpg

• Like 1

The window shades aid in reducing the interior temperature, and also helps to reduce the rate of fading within the interior, particularly the top of the rear seat, and the package tray (if it’s upholstered). As to finding one – good luck with that. If you’re really patient, and know how to scrounge, you may eventually come across one, but when you do – be prepared to pay a pretty penny for it, as by now, they’re like chicken teeth.

I once made one for a Cadillac out of aluminum. It was very solid, which made it abit of a chore to install, but it went in OK with a second pair of hands. When the installation, it didn’t rattle, if was rather unobtrusive – you really didn’t notice it from the outside, nor from the inside when looking rearward via the rearview mirror. And, after looking at the photo, enlarging it, studying it, I’m really considering making another one for our ’46 Plymouth club coupe.

As for the “traffic light” rear window light, they’re also not easy to find, but those who persevere . . .  I installed one (I also had to make the mounting bracket . . .) in another guy’s car a few years ago, and wired it so when he lets off of the gas pedal, the amber bulb illuminates (his idea . . . green at steady speed, or accelerating, amber when slowing, and red when the brake pedal is depressed). I personally don’t care for the light, nor the way it functions – but it was his money, and I got paid to install it, and make it work. No accounting for taste . . . .

Edited by DrDoctor

White reflectors are correct for 1946 application.  Lots of detail problems, does look to have an od relay on the firewall. The rear bumper looks to be upside down.  The side spears are. Definitely on the wrong side and the clips on the cowl pieces are upside down.  Don't ask me how I know...

It's possible the rear bumper might be upside down.....sure looks to stick out on the ends more than usual.   That trunk handle is perfectly normal ….. it was used on all of Mopar's cars in the late 40s.  There is a license plate light at the very top of that handle with a removable glass lens.   And a key lock just above the handle.   

Here is the trunk handle on mine...……..

DSC00381.jpg

My rear bumper stands out from the fender a few inches...…..

DSC06947.jpg

And.....I have no idea where I got my stainless trim pieces for the rear quarter, as they come to a more narrow and tapered point

than most P15 trim.  Most that you see is like that on the green coupe......more blunt with a taper mainly on one side.  Another

"old Plymouth mystery".   When I bought the car in 1973 all trim including the grill had been removed ….. perhaps because it was

taken to a body shop for accident damage repair on the passenger side.  There was NO trim with it at all.  So everything on it

was removed from some version of a P15 in salvage yards in the 1970s......when there were still quite a few yards (and old Mopars)

in existence.    

Edited by BobT-47P15

• 4 years later...

I was looking at the possibility of putting speakers in the package tray.  I found there was no package tray.  There is  a piece of carpet lying on top of the steel structure in the bottom of the well. The piece of carpet is the right shape to trace out a tray on a sheet of  mdf. I think it will work great. 

Edited by jgreg53