Single Master To Dual Master

Dennis Detweiler

I know it is safer to install a dual master conversion in my 39, but will a dual upgrade also have a more solid feel and pedal travel? I already have a front disc conversion in it. The rear axle and brakes are later model between a 1946 - 56 year. It currently has a new original master cylinder and rear cylinders and bled the whole system out with a quart of brake fluid.

7 hours ago, Dennis Detweiler said:

I know it is safer to install a dual master conversion in my 39, but will a dual upgrade also have a more solid feel and pedal travel? I already have a front disc conversion in it. The rear axle and brakes are later model between a 1946 - 56 year. It currently has a new original master cylinder and rear cylinders and bled the whole system out with a quart of brake fluid.

I am no expert,but I am going to say "Yes,due to the proportion valves and the different volumes of brake fluid being moved."

from the factory, cars with disk front and drum rear usually use a larger piston to apply the front brakes.  That's because disk calipers need a larger volume of fluid to move the piston .  So, your original master needs more travel to move that amount of fluid.

Long way of saying, Yes, you should get a higher pedal and more solid pedal feel with a dual only if you chose one that closely matches the size of the one used in the system that donated your calipers.

• Like 1

I say no, it won't change pedal height...  My single master in my 49 with disc/drum is very high and solid, no residual pressure valves and the original check valve removed.  I can't imagine it being any better with a master cylinder change unless you start messing with bore sizing but doing so you could end up with a very hard pedal.  

Adam

two things to consider to get the right pedal feel.  If you are still using the original rear brakes make sure they are correctly adjusted, both the major and minor adjustments, secondly on my cars I used proportioning valves.  both have solid pedals