23 in head VS 25 in head

budle1947

It will take some modification but can be done without too much headache. You'll have to drill new mounting holes for the front engine mount. You might have to clearance the front crossmember a bit for the damper/pulley depending on what you go with. Finally you'll have to watch your radiator clearance - perhaps cheating it forward some, perhaps omitting the mechanical fan and going electric, or any number of other solutions.

I'm the current custodian of a 1948 Plymouth with a 25" engine installed in it. I'm sure Don will be along to post details on how he did the work.

Thanks for the reply, The car is in storage for the winter, have been looking for a 23in head motor but  came across 2 - 25 in motors and wondering what my options are. Would it make  a difference if it is a  fluid drive  or a stick?  Was hoping to pull out - drop in, and be that easy.. ha ha But would consider the 25 in if its not a big headache..

It is not just a drop in type of installation. remember that you now have an additional 2 inches of cast iron motor to deal with. Weighout all of th emodifications that you have to do before taking the plunge.  And contact Don prior to making the chnage.

Rich Hartung

I installed a 25" engine in a non fluid drive Plymouth. I am not sure how it would go in a Dodge. In my install the rear engine mounts did not change. I did modify my front crossmember for clearance. I was able to flip my radiator bracket to gain two inches. I also installed an electric pusher fan in front of the radiator. If you elect to go this route take careful measurements.

7.jpg

coolingfan.jpg

2 hours ago, budle1947 said:

Ok thanks, Got all winter to ponder this.  Anyone near St Paul Mn have a 230 Flathead with a 23.5 in head?

you need a runner or a builder?