47 dodge coupe engine swap

Brad47

Short answer-

No, they use the exact same block.

American build cars and motors. Canadian and exports are another story. As long as both are the 23" long blocks.

Go for it!

DJ

A 218 and a 230 are both 23.5" engines, I think it is the crank and rods that change the cubic inches.

Neither is a 25" engine and I do not know what is needed to swap.

All cars sold in Canada do have the 25" engine  as far as everyone claims, .... just saying you need to be clearer on your question.

Edited by Los_Control

The key is the OP indicated that he has a long block engine, in theory the short block should bolt to the long block bellhousing BUT there maybe an issue with the starter or flywheel bolt number or arrangement............assuming that is not an issue and the block bolts up to the bellhousing then the front engine mount plate may need some "extensions" from the back edge of the front crossmember to allow the lower two bolts on each side of the engine mount plate to reach and bolt up...........an extension on the water pump/fan flange also exhaust pipe, throttle linkages may also need tweaking..............the long blocks are 218.06, 228, 250 and 265..........the short blocks are 201, 217.8 and 230..............the 217.8 and 218.06 are where the confusion starts...........lol............regards from oz.andyd

Edited by Andydodge

Boy did I miss some vital inf about your location being Canada and Long block to short block interchanging.

Think it may be best for me is allow you to converse with people with the Canadian motors and change info and I DO Not!

Sorry to you!  ?

DJ

Sorry boys for not getting back in the conversation but I thought I better go see the engine for my self . So long story short the 230 was for sale on CL and I was told it was out of a Fargo and it was a 230 SB he said it was rebuild never fired . I went and looked at it tonight and wouldn’t you know ? It wasn’t a 230 it was a 251 LB and was still wrapped it the plastic from the machine shop with recipes for 2600 just in parts not including the machine shop bill !!

all in all I payed 800 and left 

hope I didn’t over pay ?? 

My dad who was not a Mopar guy taught me at a young age that the term short block refers to an engine that is missing the bolt on things such as the manifolds, head, and other accessories. A long block is a complete engine ready to install and run. So the term can be confusing when discussing Mopar flathead engines.

I agree with Dons long/short info......I should have included a reference to the 23" or 25" engine block lengths in each of my listings of the relevant engine capacities..........I trust I didn't confuse the issue even more........lol.........thanks, Don........and Brad that price you paid sounds like a great deal, not only an extra 40 cubic inches but rebuilt as well!!.......I'd be pulling the sump, side covers and maybe the head just to be sure but a great deal.......can I take you when I go to buy things?...........lol.........andyd

Edited by Andydodge

Yes sorry about the Sb 23” and LB25” it was confusing all around lol the engine is in short block form so the covers and head are still removed and need to be installed hence why the guy called it a short block 

The head needs to be done still but that’s it ! Everything thing internally in the engine is brand new mint mint !! So I think it should drop in my 47 coupeEasy