POWER RACK

garyanna2

Power rack for a 1989 dodge Omni bought my unit from Buy Auto Parts.  You can find these listed by many auto parts stores but they due not carry them in stock. Before you buy make sure they have the rack. These units are not cheep anymore or if you find a used one the rebuilder will recondition them.  Just my power rack story.

I thought rack and pinion was hard to use with a straight axle- you need to mount it on the axle and use a telescoping steering shaft right? Or else deal with terrible bump steer?

Maybe this is a common modification around here and I am just not in on it? How are you going to set this up on your truck?

You can’t just use any Omni rack either...you have to get the one with the return steel line on the side of the rack, not on the top.  Once you mount the rack at the right tilt to make it work with the u-joints the tube can interfere with the oil pan....personal experience LOL

2 hours ago, John U said:

I have a 80s Pontiac 6000 rack in my 51 at least 10 plus years and its worked great ever since 

Is that a rear steer rack? Any pictures of your install...I searched a lot for a rear steer and I didn’t find much out there, so went Omni