1941 6cyl.Gates Water Pump 42554 Quality?

rboutain@gmail.

I owned a 1941 Plymouth Coupe from 2007 to 2013, sold it like a dope...........but soon after I bought it the original pump started leaking, the car was an older resto and it was the original style greasable pump I obtained a Gates pump as a replacement and installed it without any issue, fitted straight on, it had the sealed bearing plus the later style circular impeller rather than the old style 2 eared impeller.............I cannot say nor remember where it was made, it came in a Gates stamped/printed box and more than likely was made in China as this was around 2007/2008.........so if I had to get a water pump again I'd certainly get another...........when I started playing with mopars  in 1971 I remember that I had no end of problems installing a water pump repair kit in the original 1940 Dodge pump at the time, they used a mongrel fibre washer that if you were not careful(I wasn't) it would break.....I hated those things..........lol.......and I always thought the 2 eared impeller appeared to be some sort of mopar joke.............but I'm a hotrodder and the cars had a 318 Poly since 1973 so I don't have that issue any longer and thats why I went for a completely new pump for the 41 Plymouth..................lol...........I rave a bit.............regards from oz......andyd     

All grease used to lubricate old style water pump ends up in block's water jacket. Even if I had to replace sealed bearing pump every year, I would do it for this reason alone.

1 minute ago, sser2 said:

All grease used to lubricate old style water pump ends up in block's water jacket. Even if I had to replace sealed bearing pump every year, I would do it for this reason alone.

How do you figure that? There’s a seal that separates the coolant from the bushing. Coolant shouldn’t get out and lube shouldn’t get in. The grease should just lubricate the bushing and seal. 

When you are young and silly........I was 17..........lol..........and trying to reasemble those bastard water pumps and I vaguely remember breaking at least 2 of those mongrel fibre washers and cursing them with every expletive I knew.............I as stated wouldn't consider an original style pump as a gift.........lol.......I think some things are improved for a reason.............lol............and I'm not young anymore..............lol..........andyd 

Thank you  for your help.

I would never rebuild my old pump.

I was considering  buying a modern replacement  ,  Gates 42554 which has better impellors and seals ,however it is made in China.

Have any of you used this pump

and can comment on it  quality or reliability? 

Richard 1941

Thank you Andy !

I would prefer to buy an  American Made products having worked in the steel industry for 40 years 

Chinese steel does not compare and 

I just just want it to be right.

Your experience  and no issues with that Gates pump is reassuring. 

Thanks again.

Richard 1941

As Tom has mentioned there are different lengths in the bolts and the use of some form of thread sealer should be taken as compulsory when dealing with any bolt that goes into a water jacket or could do...........and whilst I understand your desire to purchase US made products sometimes it just may not be possible, by the same token I found when I was collecting engine parts for the rebuilding of the 230 I was going to use in the 41 Plymouth that there were a couple of guys in Turkey, yes THAT Turkey selling various Plymouth, Dodge and general Mopar engine parts on US ebay for very cheap prices......I was hesitant at first but these parts ended up being genuine US made factory or replacement parts still in their boxes..........I purchased cam & crank gears and timing chain, valves, valve lifter and guide sets and an oil pump, all in perfect condition still in the original boxes at less than 1/2 the going US prices, these were all packed well and sent promptly, I paid in US dollars via a credit card/paypal......... ......there apparently was a Chrysler distribution centre for the Middle East set up in Turkey years ago which had closed resulting in a large number of mopar parts being available there............I know this isn't China.......and I know what the issues regarding some parts are but I'd suggest that its sometimes worthwhile to keep your options open.............lol..........regards from the other side of the world........lol.............Andy Douglas ..   

19 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

How do you figure that? There’s a seal that separates the coolant from the bushing. Coolant shouldn’t get out and lube shouldn’t get in. The grease should just lubricate the bushing and seal. 

That's right. Water pump grease doesn't get into water under normal operation. But pump must be greased every 2,000 miles using grease gun. Under pressure, old grease has to go somewhere, and that somewhere is water jacket. This is what makes that greasy substance found while cleaning old blocks.