Advice on worth of my 41 Chrysler

Advix

Hi Guys and gals, 

I am not trying to sell the here but, I need help or advice on pricing my car. I was told it was work 7 K but feel he did not know what he was talking about. I have documentation dating back to the 60's and it is a driveaway or drive anywhere car at this point. It could use a paint job and some weather stripping but it does not leak and shines up when washed. I drive it 3 to 4 times per week with no issue.  Your input and assistance would be helpful for sure. following is a list I have created. 

·      Runs and drives as it should - an Original rare car with roughly 38,000 miles driven frequently so mileage may change.

o   Spit Fire 6 Cylinder recent oil change.

o   Replaced the water pump. Have the old one still works I just wanted to be sure so replaced pump, thermostat and hoses including heater hoses. Including under seat heaters.

·      4 speed hydromantic.

o   Rebuilt to original working order 2 months ago.

o   Automatic / manual transmission

o   Recently replaced rear end, transmission and coupler fluid.

·      Rare Under seat dual heaters.

·      Carpet is in great shape.

·      I preformed recent service work including greasing all ports and fluid changes in transmission front end and rear end.

·      Radio rebuilt in the 90s and works as it should.

·      Box of miscellaneous parts, light bulbs, fuel filter and pump, jack and handle, original bolt on style tow hitch.

·      Original window  style air conditioner

·      2 sets of original keys for doors & locks (all work as they should).

·      All windows work as they should

·      Heater, Gauges and Lights work as they should.

·      Printed factory repair manual

·      1942 license plate will be transferred with the car.

·      Has been featured in many magazines and car shows. Former Mike McQueen car with 4 total owners.

IMG_1365 (1024x683) (2).jpg

IMG_1366 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_1363 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_1369 (1024x683).jpg

33046831_10214291374337319_4403027178518740992_n.jpg

IMG_1384 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_1377 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_1370 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_1397 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_1379 (1024x683).jpg

IMG_1376 (1024x683).jpg

Edited by Advix
photos per request

If the car looks as good inside as it does outside I am guessing $14,000.00 CDN whatever that works out to in USD. I bought a '47 New Yorker last year and used the NADA guide on-line and the searchable results from the various classic car auctions over the last few years in order to come to a price.. Perhaps that is a good way to establish a defensible low end for a sale price.

Current Fresno Ca Craigslist. All are 4 door sedans and appear to be similar to yours

1941 Roadmaster.             16900

1940 Olds.                           11500

1941 Chevrolet.                  14500

1939 Pontiac                       12500

1940 Buick.                          16000

Advix,

Damned nice 1941 if I must say so myself! Now for the rest of M.H.O. I have noticed that the Chrysler Cars do not seem to bring the big bucks. For the last 45 years I have owned a few.

What perplexes me most is how people will pay - say 50K to 100K for a 55,56, or 57 Chevy, that are ubiquitous (everywhere) but only want to pay 12K to 16K for our wonderful Chrysler's.

Yes, I realize one must be a mechanic to own one of our cars. However, they are rarer than any of the afor - mentioned Cheby Bathtubs. A low mileage nice car like yours should garner 19K to 20K or so, not what somebody that wants to flip it wants to pay such as 10K - 14K. The other problem that has developed is namely young people do not want older vehicles anymore.

So, I have spoken my piece, Thank you for listening, get all you can out of her, because you are going to miss her some fine day while looking back. Good Luck. 

Tom

5 minutes ago, Advix said:

I agree with you, mr Skinner. I just like to drive this car is like stepping into another world. most guys want hot rods' nowadays. Maybe I just donate it to a museum 

Watch out about donating to a museum.  I've heard that many of them stipulate that they have the right to sell the vehicle after a few years, so your car ends-up with a 'buyer' anyway, except you don't see any money.

interesting, I will watch out for that. I am sure it will sell at the 10,500 mark. I would be very sad if it did not and will just drive it to Idaho, it has to right. I see junk cars for that price. and with 20 min of prep I would driver her almost anywhere. 

I've had my 1940 Dodge Sedan for 47yrs and have seen that unfortunately 4Dr sedans do not generally bring the same money as , say a 2dr sedan, coupe or convertible.......having said that your car whilst a 4dr  is an uncommon 1941 model and more importantly a very nice original one at that so I'd think that a figure in the mid teens, say 14,000 as a start but open to offers would be, for me a reasonable price, certainly at $10,500 it seems to be a bargain, good luck in the sale and any chance you can post more pics just to impress us all on what we maybe missing...........regards from Oz.......Andy Douglas  

25 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

I've had my 1940 Dodge Sedan for 47yrs and have seen that unfortunately 4Dr sedans do not generally bring the same money as , say a 2dr sedan, coupe or convertible.......having said that your car whilst a 4dr  is an uncommon 1941 model and more importantly a very nice original one at that so I'd think that a figure in the mid teens, say 14,000 as a start but open to offers would be, for me a reasonable price, certainly at $10,500 it seems to be a bargain, good luck in the sale and any chance you can post more pics just to impress us all on what we maybe missing...........regards from Oz.......Andy Douglas  

Video from last year 

40 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

1 hour ago, Tom Skinner said:

The other problem that has developed is namely young people do not want older vehicles anymore.

The good news is 4dr sedans no long have the stigma with young people they used to have back in the 1900's. Lots of young people today see them as being as sporty as a 2dr car.

And for someone that has children,it just doesn't get any better than a big old Chrysler 4dr. They are built like tanks.

it is a 42 by the front end chrome, manufactured December of 1941. I only have known it as a 42 until I actually pulled the title out in the last 2 weeks. they stopped production in January of 1942. it is the 42 model. 

Advix, thanks for the extra pics............that is a damn nice car.......I especially like the interior, and I have never seen the blue coloured dash plastic pieces, they must have been colour co-ordinated to suit the interior colours that the cars came in as I have seen pics of cream coloured and red coloured plastic but the blue is new to me............and I loved the video, especially when you turn up the volume on the cars radio......err wireless............lol..........a beautifully rich sound..............if I had the money now I'd buy the car............unfortunately thats not feasible at present..............but I do hope it goes to a good and an appreciative home as it does deserve.............regards, Andy Douglas 

I'd forgot about the antenna's that turned down. Do company's that supply cars for movies buy cars? Your giving it away. But a Pinzgauer needs a lot of room. All depends on how much room you got in Idaho. My wife sold her 36 Terraplane, 4 door suicide for 14K about 8 years ago.

Very nice car. Definitely a rare '42. How is the plastic trim, is it very brittle? My '41 Windsor was an Arizona car and the plastic had been changed to padded vinyl. If the transmission is original it will be the Vacamatic (with the vacuum pod on the side of the transmission)

Surprisingly all of the trim is intact,  only one small crack exists and it is small and could be covered easily.  All of the plastic is there and in great shape including the perl, window handles are in great shape. I will get you guys some better video incase anybody is ever trying to put one together. 

That is correct on the Vacomatic transmission. I had it rebuilt by motor city speed works last fall. it is fun to see the look on peoples face while trying to explain how the tranny works. 

Unless money is an issue, I would never sell that car. If you need some place to store it and to drive it occasionally to keep things lubricated, I want to put my name on the list. I will keep it for a time, then someone else can, etc, etc. make it a revolving piece of automobile history. 

2 hours ago, Advix said:

It is a 42 by the trim and front end but the title says 1941 built-in December. 

I have a friend in Minot,ND that has a antique auto museum with maybe 90 cars in it. IIRC,his oldest is an original 1 family pre-1920 Olds touring. He just put up a new building to house the collection. PM me your email address if interested,and I will forward it to him.