B3B Diff and front end swap info please

Hi again,

Im part way through the rebuild of my B3 pickup im about to fit a Jaguar IFS front end (has anyone done this before?)

Also who can tell me about the original diff? I may swap out for a holden LSD but was wondering just how strong the old one was? Looks like im putting a 318 Magnum engine and trans from a dodge 1500 in, so i presume the original diff will last 5 mins with this in front of it... Someone told me it was the same diff they used in the plymouths etc with V8's driving them so thought if this was true i wouldnt mind re using the original!!

Pretty sure this will be the only one in NZ when im finished!!!

dorrisfrontend.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4652.jpg

• Like 1

Welding in shorts and flip-flops??? Yikes!! ?

The stock rear axle may be a little light if you are going to push a fair amount of HP through it. I don’t know what you have available in NZ, but here, on this side of the big puddle, Jeep Cherokee axles seem to be a good fit. 

14 hours ago, Merle Coggins said:

Welding in shorts and flip-flops??? Yikes!! ?

The stock rear axle may be a little light if you are going to push a fair amount of HP through it. I don’t know what you have available in NZ, but here, on this side of the big puddle, Jeep Cherokee axles seem to be a good fit. 

Nothing like a hot glob of molten steel between the toes. ( I have that experience, "Just a quick weld to make this bracket, no need to change clothes and shoes"), right...

3 hours ago, johnsartain said:

Nothing like a hot glob of molten steel between the toes.

I often weld, grind metal and drive in shorts. I have the cuts burns and scars from years of getting the job done.

Nothing makes you more aware of your surroundings and being safe then getting burned once in awhile.

48D

• Thanks 1

Keeps you on your toes, but one thing I will use are safety glasses. Even with them I have had steel in the eye and that really sucks.

Edited by johnsartain
  • Like 1

Its my opinion that if the stock rear-end is rebuilt properly, it will handle the 318 just fine. Its your suspension that will need attention.

The weight of the back end will be in stark contrast to the front, maybe 75/25 percent.......so I would maybe scale a mock up and make sure

you have the weight you need to keep the rear tires planted.

48D 

I wrestled with my stock rear’s brakes for years trying to keep the four wheel cylinders and eccentric adjusters happy. I never had a single problem with the gears though. Jeep ZJ worked for me and had discs. 

Why not use the jag independant rear suspension while you’re at it? Super fancy setup with the inboard brakes

Look up "24 Hours of Lemons" races.  A few years back, a '48 Dodge truck with a Jag front suspension did well.  I have seen the video on their website of it on the track. You can probably find that person through the Lemons folks and ask how he did it.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:16 PM, johnsartain said:

Keeps you on your toes, but one thing I will use are safety glasses. Even with them I have had steel in the eye and that really sucks.

I have had more trash get in my eyes after the job is over by falling from my hair and what not as I all but rarely will wear a head covering....the face shield is also open top.....I try to always brush the stuff out in front to back direction if I do grinding etc....I cannot stand a ball cap...I will cut the brim off of one and use this more as a bump cap for scalp protection when under a vehicle.  

Cheers for the ideas everyone, Im not keen on the Jag rear end it will mean too much additional work on the chassis to get cert, ill likely try a holden rear end however the jeep might be an option too but not as available over here,  probably still run leafs as im going to use this as a work truck...... And as for the clothing options thats pretty standard attire in NZ !!!! Bloody hot in my workshop haha. (the proper stuff goes on for the big welds and yes have a few burns here and there)

• Haha 1