New Project - '52 Suburban - Some Parts by Craigslist

Bob Riding

So I've started working on my next project - a '52 Plymouth Suburban. It's in remarkable shape except for some small rust-through spots under the accelerator pedal. My plan is to use a working P20 218 I recently purchased for $300 (local Craigslist), mated to a TH200-4R automatic overdrive transmission (also Craigslist). The guy I bought the motor from had it set up that way on a '50 Plymouth wagon, using a Wilcap Adapter, which came with the engine, and said it ran great. He felt that he wanted more power, so he pulled it and replaced it with a SBC. The 200-4R is an overdrive tranny and from my measurements, I don't think I'll need to modify the firewall. I will need to add a support for the rear of the tranny, however. In order to get the most hp/torque out of the 218, I plan to run the 2bbl carb NiftyFifty recently posted about, with spilt exhaust and electronic ignition. I also plan to shave the head, and I've been told I could boost the compression ratio even more by using a thinner head gasket. In looking on ePay, and the usual vendors, thickness is rarely if ever listed. I haven't found a gasket reference chart to compare. How can I find a thinner gasket, and is it really worth the trouble?

IMG_6197.JPG

IMG_6198.JPG

11 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

Hi Bob, Sounds like a fun project. Suggest you measure your valve to head clearance to insure you don't end up with the spark plugs contacting the intake valves and causing valve damage.

Valvelift-1-1.jpg

Good point, thanks Don. What's the thinking on how much to shave off the head? I seem to remember you posting an old chart awhile back...

That's the one! It looks like if you want to get to 7.5 to 1, I would need to take .050 (assuming that it's a stock head). To get to 7.7, you could take .058 off. Is it possible to get to 8.5 to 1, without running into the clearance issues you mentioned?

15 hours ago, James_Douglas said:

I REALLY would like to know how the wilcap conversion works out.  I am planning on that for a 265 I want to rebuild for my '47 Desoto.

James.

Maybe I should do a restoration blog? I had never heard of Wilcap before I bought this motor. What I like about it is I can leave the rest of the vehicle fairly stock, and spend more time driving it!

9 hours ago, Bob Riding said:

Maybe I should do a restoration blog? I had never heard of Wilcap before I bought this motor. What I like about it is I can leave the rest of the vehicle fairly stock, and spend more time driving it!

I think you should. Just keep updating this thread as you get updates

I picked up some good 15" wheels, which I think will give the wagon a lower stance, regardless of what I do with the rest of the suspension. I want to do wide-white bias-look radials, but there are quite a few choices on the Coker website ( know others make them too, but I've had good luck with the 16 x6 Coker Classics on my woodie.) I've read a lot of the tire posts here and my understanding is that If I stay with the stock steering, a narrower tire will be easier to handle at slow speeds and parking, etc., but less stable on the highway, where a wider tire would be just the opposite?

IMG_5306.JPG

I have a Wilcap adapter - its a nice piece. I bought it to add to my pile of parts for a 1928 Ford RPU that I intend to be powered by a Chrysler engine. My decision was made to make it easy to install a T5 and knock out a ton of weight. I don't have it installed, but I test fit everything and it works really nice for my application.