GPS vehicle locator / tracker

Desotodav

I am considering purchasing a couple of vehicle trackers for my trucks and wondered if any of my forum brother’s had gone down that route, and whether there was any preference to one brand / style over another.

i have done some network research and have found that the devices differ greatly in price, special functions, and wether they are hard-wired or plug and use.

I would prefer to purchase and install a covert device which I could monitor from my mobile phone - a simple unit that would just inform me the location of my vehicle (in a timely manner) should it go missing from the garage without my knowledge.

Does anyone have experience with such devices?.. and are there any suggestions as to which model or type would best suit my needs?

Edited by Desotodav

Trackers have gained a lot of traction with drone pilots. Check YouTube and or a drone forum.

https://phantompilots.com/threads/gps-trackers.125485/

Look for long battery life and life monthly subscription cost, especially for cellular GPS trackers.

Edited by FlashBuddy

If you are dealing with a relatively modern car, then they make ODBII plug-in GPS devices specifically for this. The advertising I've seen seems to target parents of teenage drivers.

If you are dealing with an older car without ODBII, then I think FlashBuddy is on the right track.

On 10/28/2018 at 9:34 AM, FlashBuddy said:

Trackers have gained a lot of traction with drone pilots. Check YouTube and or a drone forum.

https://phantompilots.com/threads/gps-trackers.125485/

Look for long battery life and life monthly subscription cost, especially for cellular GPS trackers.

According to the Amazon ratings on the no. 1 product in this video it is rated at 50% positive with most complaints relating to short battery life.  Most of the complaints state the battery must be charged every other day or more often.  I suspect it has to do with the method, i.e., running non-stop all day vs. the sleep mode that only actives when there is motion

• 2 weeks later...