Heater Control Valve

Cold Blue

My 48 Plymouth Special Deluxe's cable controlled heater valve is missing; has been since I got the car. Looked on-line till I am blue in the face, but cannot find one. Did find an NOS one that had been sold - $525.00!!! was the price....Ya'll got any leads as to where I could find one? I know that I can install a manual shut-off valve for summer time use. Maybe that's the best option?  Thanks!

i cannot help you locate one, but i do know there are companies like texas air that rebuild them. maybe they can help. i took mine off and had the heater core fixed about 2 years ago and now i forget where the heater valve even goes back. it is a 54 Windsor and i guess somewhere there is a diagram for this. good luck finding one. i do not think i have an extra, but i will look.    dennis

Unless you're dead set on having an original, just get an after-market one. the one on my 51 Dodge is for a late model Toyota pickup. Works just fine. Do a search, I know there's information on this forum about those.

I dunno if this helps, whilst this heater valve is on the 318 Poly in my 1940 Dodge the actual valve is one that I found when I installed the heater and is or was at least a very common aftermarket style on/off valve.........it just screws into the water crossover port on the intake and uses a cable which I disconnected yrs ago as I wasn't using the heater anyway........you can see the bracket that points toward the radiator, this bracket holds the clamp that held the cable.....I have seen these type of heater switch used on all sorts of cars here in Oz and would think they maybe or should be a similar thing available in the US............I know this valve still works, at least it opens and closes as I had to remove the intake manifold recently for some welding repairs and whilst it was off the car I checked the valve and apart from some very slight corrosion which I cleaned out the valve was fine.....its been on the car for at least 30yrs, I only ever used the heater about 3 or 4 times so about 10 yrs ago disconnected & removed the cable, the switch is left in the "off" position............check a local radiator repair shop as they tend to have this type of switch as a replacement for OEM ones...............andyd  

P1010268.JPG

Answer to Cold Bliue:  The top red hoses are for the dual heaters (Top-of-the-line DeSoto). 

The lower red hose is the drain hose for the air distribution box, or whatever they called it. 

In theory, any water that gets in the cowl vent, drains out.  Right. 

10 minutes ago, Cold Blue said:

Thanks DonaldSmith for the explanation. I wish I had just a fraction of the knowledge ya'll have about these vintage cars. Plymouthy apparently knows about every nook and cranny! I am in awe...

well, it helps if you happen to have one of the cars with dual heater held captive in your barn.....

10 hours ago, chrysler1941 said:

This is a B series Dodge truck #1326186 Heater valve package... I had the same package but mine had the $$$ aluminum "Y" valve in it.....as used with the dual heaters in the 1941-48 Mopar cars.. see Ed's post above. These valves are very difficult to find in good working condition or even  harder new.

Four Seasons has an online catalog. I think 74827 has a flat lever, 74828 a round one. A 74682 is nice but it won't clear the firewall to install. You can use RockAuto part no. search, for more info.