Head Manufacture Date

Eneto-55

Is there a way to tell when a head was manufactured?

For instance, the '55 engine I have in my P15 has the following numbers & notations on the head: 12.10.54; 1616823-4; and a 'D' & 'N', with an arrow below it pointing to the 'D'.  I assume the first is the date code, which would make sense for a '55 engine.  This head also has the smaller hole for the temp gauge, because the '55 models had an electric sender unit.

I have another head which I believe to be out of my 49 1st series (P15).  It has the following notations on it. 12-1; and 1120803-8.

The reason for asking is because my brother has an engine from a '51, which also used the capillary style temp sending unit.  We had some things stolen from our cars in our parent's back yard, and we're trying to establish if the head I have is from the 49, or the 51.  The one I have I had moved into the shop before already, possibly years ago, but I don't remember when.  (My extra bell housing has also disappeared. - I assume stolen when the other stuff went missing.)  Both of these engines were torn down back in the early '80's.

Thanks.

The casting date is December 10,1954, which would be correct for a '55 engine.  The D and N refer to day shift or night shift, and the 1616823 is the casting number (which may or may not correspond to the part number), and '-4' refers to which mold was used in the foundry  (#4, in this case).   HTH

Any ideas regarding the second one?  (That is the one that may be my brother's.)  I suspect that they didn't put the full date code on them back that early.  I was hoping someone who has a 51 model could tell what sort of notation is on theirs. (Or someone else with a known P15 head.)