Fuel filter

Redmond49

Do people generally have a fuel filter added inline somewhere, or is the tank filtering and fuel pump sufficient? I have a replacement tank that doesn't have the original's brass filter on it.

I would have an extra fuel filter somewhere on the line, either just before or just after the pump, those see thru plastic ones whilst they are not original or traditional or whatever they DO work and are a cheap form of insurance, at least thats how I view them, I have one between the pump and carby but this is for the 318 Poly, also had one on the stock 1941 Plymouth 201 I had.......andyd.

P1010269.JPG

Yes the plastic is cheap but they do come with a posible issue. Since you might be putting this inline just before the carb There is always a possibility that the plastic could and I say could and it has happened inwhich the heat from the manifold could melt the plastic and then the gas would leak onto the manifold and then you would have a fire.

I would recommend that you get a metal housing with the glas bowel and then put this inline just before the carb you can find these on ebay.

There wasa fire that completly destoied a car becsue the plastic filter melted and the engine comparment caught on fire.  Spend the extra few dollars for the safety aspect.  You could also put a fram full metal cansiter filter just before the carb but you would not see any build up of sedement.

Here isa picture of what i use onmy 39 desoto and is on ebay for sale: for $26 which includes the shipping;  Listed under  ORIGINAL NEW AC GLASS BOWL FUEL FILTER ASSEMBLY- USES GF124 FILTER 5/16"

ORIGINAL-NEW-AC-GLASS-BOWL-FUEL-FILTER-ASSEMBLY-USES-GF124-FILTER-5-16-034

rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aolo.com

Edited by desoto1939

Rich & Los.........I fully agree with both your comments re the plastic issue, its not an issue with the Poly engine as the filter is up high well away from any melting heat and the one I had on the 41 Plymouth was also up high well away from the exhaust manifold, but I do agree that a metal filter or ideally the glass style would be the best ...........andyd

Redmond49,

I’ve got 2 fuel filters on our ’46 Plymouth – they’re both AC filters originally intended for a tri-five Chevy. The 1st one’s a canister type mounted between the fuel tank and the fuel pump. The 2nd one’s a glass-bowl type mounted directly to the carburetor, like depicted by desoto1939. I got both of them from my local auto parts store, but Eckler’s sells them both, too. They’re not expensive, either. The “in-line” style will also work, but if you do use such a fuel filter, I wouldn’t recommend using a plastic one, especially under the hood. Under the car, they’re susceptible to “road-rash” damage, but under the hood – if too close to the engine – well, I’ve seen them melt with resultant/predictable results – NOT pretty!!! Regards . . . . .

There are pleny of the Carter vintage filters available.  I used one here:

D520BE9E-E2AF-476D-A769-19D6BD9A5C78.jpeg

• Like 3

If I'd looked a bit deeper into the carb before I posted, I would certainly have answered my own question. That's some fine eastern Washington dust in there, probably mixed with some gas tank rust.

dirty-carby.jpg

Oh that ash... what a pain in the ash?

Thanks Mt St helens.