Relining the Emergency Brake at Home

About a year ago I bought an e-brake relining kit (came with the rivets) and now it's time to rivet the lining to the e-brake band. The new lining is about .200 in thick and it looked to me like the old rivets were sitting in counterbores about .100 deep (or about half-way into the old lining). Anyway, my first thought was to bend the lining into the band, mark the lining with a fine tip marker through the band holes to locate the rivets,  then remove the lining from the band and drill .001 counterbored holes where the rivet heads will go.

But before I bend the new lining to fit it into the band, I thought I better find out if anyone on the forum has done this before. My question is whether there is something that should be done to the lining to make it more pliable (like soaking it in water overnight or something like that) before bending it and possible breaking it or is it OK to just go ahead and fit in into the band.

After I get the lining positioned correctly in the band, I plan to try using a pin punch and transfer punch to sink the rivets.

e-brake1.jpg

e-brake2.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
  • Like 1

What kind of material is the lining made of?  If there is extra material (length), you might consider cutting a small piece off, and try soaking it, to see it it does become more flexible.  I would almost be surprised if it did, since it would normally be getting wet on a regular basis under operation.

1 hour ago, Jocko_51_B3B said:

About a year ago I bought an e-brake relining kit (came with the rivets) and now it's time to rivet the lining to the e-brake band. The new lining is about .200 in thick and it looked to me like the old rivets were sitting in counterbores about .100 deep (or about half-way into the old lining). Anyway, my first thought was to bend the lining into the band, mark the lining with a fine tip marker through the band holes to locate the rivets,  then remove the lining from the band and drill .001 counterbored holes where the rivet heads will go.

But before I bend the new lining to fit it into the band, I thought I better find out if anyone on the forum has done this before. My question is whether there is something that should be done to the lining to make it more pliable (like soaking it in water overnight or something like that) before bending it and possible breaking it or is it OK to just go ahead and fit in into the band.

After I get the lining positioned correctly in the band, I plan to try using a pin punch and transfer punch to sink the rivets.

e-brake1.jpg

e-brake2.jpg

You can possibly find some answers on this older post

I purchased a tool kit that included the proper counterbore drill bit and a rivet set. I don't recall what vendor, it was probably a Model A or Model T Ford vendor.

It is amazing how fuzzy my memory is on this, but I think I clamped the lining in place and then drilled through the existing holes in the band from the outside. Once I had through holes I removed the lining and came in from the inside with the counter bore. Using a proper rivet set made it pretty easy to install the rivets.

I think you could heat the lining in an oven and gradually pull it around  and clamp to a band of pipe. The material has polymers or something and resets to the new shape. After it cools, release the clamps, trim to fit, put your shoe inside the band and around the ring, back in the oven for a bit and it should be ready to drill /rivet. I Googled it , I must be right. The counter sink tool is a plus. Mac's?

I drilled mine step by step - first that in the middle of the lining, then riveted that. Next holes left and right, then riveted them and so on.

My first attempt drilling all the holes first did not lead to a satisfactory result. It was difficult to get the lining exactly into the band and correctly mark all the bore hole positions.

Result was a slight deviation of the holes, the lining did not fit tight to the band.

I used a lining from a tractor supply, no preparation needed.

Mac's does sell that tool for counter boring the rivet heads. Aircraft Spruce sells a rivet tool that sets the rivet like a flare tool. I just found the start of my Christmas wish list.