Bob Drown

LAKOTA169

I've copied this from Bob's Facebook page. It was written by his son. Bob and his '40 Plymouth the Wayback Machine have been posting on here in the past. Keep him in your thoughts.

Hi guys, Dad has been hacked. It's Josh. I have no idea what to say or how to say it. My hero is losing his battle with cancer. He is very weak and is in Hospice care at my home. the started his morphine pain management meds today. he is taking very little in the way of food or water. What little he gets is when he is asked. I would like to personally thank everyone of dad's great friends and family for all of the love and support you all have given him with this journey. I will do my best to post what I can when I can. I just don't know what to type as the tears flow from my eyes, to see the one of the strongest men in my life fight so hard and be this weak is very heartbreaking. I love you all as does dad. Thank you all so much.

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

Buggar!..........Bob was one of the first guys I had any dealings with when I 1st joined the forum, maybe 10yrs ago now and we became good long distance friends, I especially liked his posts where he just went for drives around his local area in his blue 1940 Plymouth Coupe with his dog as his co pilot...........damn I wish I could remember the dogs name.............I just tried to call the home phone number, however it just rang out...............I don't do Facebook so Lakota if you get a chance can you offer my best wishes and regards to Josh and Josh, can you pass on my regards, best wishes and thanks to your father............Andy Douglas in sunny South Grafton, Australia 

Terrible news.

Bob was also one of the first people to welcome me here as well.

He sent me a 6 volt fan that attached to the steering wheel and blew on the windshield.

He was a great addition to this group and a friend to many.

His family has my thoughts.

Neil

12 minutes ago, Andydodge said:

Buggar!..........Bob was one of the first guys I had any dealings with when I 1st joined the forum, maybe 10yrs ago now and we became good long distance friends, I especially liked his posts where he just went for drives around his local area in his blue 1940 Plymouth Coupe with his dog as his co pilot...........damn I wish I could remember the dogs name.............I just tried to call the home phone number, however it just rang out...............I don't do Facebook so Lakota if you get a chance can you offer my best wishes and regards to Josh and Josh, can you pass on my regards, best wishes and thanks to your father............Andy Douglas in sunny South Grafton, Australia 

Cooper is his Dog. Bob moved a few months back to live with his son so I'm sure his # changed at that point. 

At one point Bob posted a picture of a bunch of car signs and stuff in his house. I asked him for a close up of a snap on clock featuring a pilot house dodge van. He sent the picture as asked and then about a week later the clock showed up on my doorstep!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Andy, the dogs name is Cooper. Bob's wife Patty passed away less than a year ago.  Bob's cancer got worse, and he moved in with his son in Oklahoma. Cooper went with him. About 3 weeks ago, his Plymouth followed him. He did get a chance to drive it some. His son has a '48 Plymouth.

I remember when I first rang him and wanted to send him some stuff from Oz, we both had a good laugh about the address being to a Mr Drown living at a place called "Neversink".........yeh sure Bob.............lol...........I thought.....heres another Yank giving an Aussie a hard time........lol..........but he wasn't, he was & hopefully for a while still is a really great guy, I hadn't seen any posts for a year or more and just thought he had other things happening, which it seems he had.....................and Cooper, that dog was with him in just about every pic..............both Bob and Cooper were and ARE good mates................Andy Douglas    

2 hours ago, LAKOTA169 said:

Andy, the dogs name is Cooper. Bob's wife Patty passed away less than a year ago.  Bob's cancer got worse, and he moved in with his son in Oklahoma. Cooper went with him. About 3 weeks ago, his Plymouth followed him. He did get a chance to drive it some. His son has a '48 Plymouth.

Damn! This is a tough year on his kids and grandkids.

I just hope they can find a way to focus on the good to help ease the pain of the bad.

• Sad 1

Best to you and your family, Josh, in his difficult time.  

Sure liked reading Bob’s posts and always appreciated his enthusiasm.  Thinking about him makes me want to hit a country road in my coupe and just drive....

• Like 1

Spoke to his son Shane tonight on the phone. Shane carried the load of his failing parents for many years also. Not easy for any of them at the moment. One thing for sure, Bob sure sets a good example as to how to approach the late days of life, lessons that will stick with me when I get there.  Good to know that the wayback machine, Bob, and Cooper his gps will always be cruising the eternal byways together.

• Like 1

So sorry to hear about Bob's condition. I first communicated with Bob some years back when he had a web page featuring photos and information regarding the 1940 Plymouth's. I have a book by Hemmings with photos of vintage abandoned automobiles. There was one car, a 1940 Nash coupe that had been abandoned in the early '60's beside a hiking trail in the Catskill range overlooking the Neversink River and I soon learned that Bob resided in Neversink, New York (a name that you don't easily forget).

I sent Bob an email asking him if he was familiar with the whereabouts of this car and if in fact, it was still there. He got back to me right away and wasn't aware of the car but actually contacted the man at Hemmings who had written a small article about the car but was not able to provide any additional information about it.. Since then, Bob has written emails to me and sent me a nice calendar that he had made up with pictures of his tours in the beautiful rural countryside where he was.

I only wish I had had the opportunity to meet him in person and I will always enjoy the pictures that he has posted of himself and family. He is a special person.

John Reddie 

40 nash A.jpg

With a heavy heart our good friend Bob lost his fight with cancer in the evening of Halloween, just 5 month, 156 days after loosing his bride Patty, by him moving to Fletcher OK with Josh and his family solved the fear of what would happen to his co-pilot Cooper, which I know gave him much stress while in Neversink.

Rest easy my friend, miss you loads. God Bless You.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My thoughts and condolences to Bob's family.  He was a really neat guy and I enjoyed reading his stories about his travels.  On his way to Josh's home, they passed through the edge of Joplin, where I live, on the interstate and he sent me a brief note to say hello. 

On 11/3/2018 at 5:21 PM, TomP said:

With a heavy heart our good friend Bob lost his fight with cancer in the evening of Halloween, just 5 month, 156 days after loosing his bride Patty, by him moving to Fletcher OK with Josh and his family solved the fear of what would happen to his co-pilot Cooper, which I know gave him much stress while in Neversink.

Rest easy my friend, miss you loads. God Bless You.

Sigh....So sorry he is gone.

Hi gents, this is a message I received from Josh, Bobs son that he stayed with for his last 3 months. Please if you know of other thread out there could please give me a link to them, the only other link I have is on the Plymouth Bulletin forum. Thanks.  

https://www.plymouthowners.club/talk/index.php?topic=3653.msg19147#new

Tom this was so heartwarming and sad at the same time thank you  all so very much. Josh

Edited by TomP

• 2 weeks later...

Latest update from Josh

Hey folks I just want everyone to know that dad's RC Drown grave side service will be at 10am Friday after Thanksgiving at the Grahamsville cemetery all are welcome thank you all so very much.