next question for the 1935 plym coupe

kwisor

I am in the process of removing the dash to repaint it. when I took the temp sensor loose from the block it broke it was rusted this car is stock and has the stock gauges is the a place to get anotherone

thank you  

kevin

Edited by kwisor
miss spell

I know its a bit late now but I always use some neversieze or similar on the threads of water temp sending units at both ends and also use brake line spanners which are a much thicker version of a ring spanner but with a slot cut in the ring so they fit around the hex of a nut and offer much more support...........andyd   

Do not give up on it, there is a good howto floating around to repair it.

Basically you buy a new aftermarket gauge, you stick the capillary tube in a bowl of water in the freezer overnight, then you prep your old gauge and cut the line from the frozen new gauge and solder them together.

The liquid in the line gets sucked into the capillary when cold, gives you time to cut and solder while it is encapsulated in a block of ice.

When thawed out it flows freely through the new line.

Much better instructions if you search for it, and after dinner will search some more and post if I find it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting comment on replacing the capillary tube.  I had never thought of them as being repairable by the home mechanic.  I guess anything that can be built can be repaired if you have the right technique.  Now I will have to go research. B)

https://www.ply33.com/Repair/tempgauge

One of our moderators  posted/wrote this? on his website.  ?

Surprised no one else here has not added this post earlier.

DJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2018 at 5:35 PM, Los_Control said:

Do not give up on it, there is a good howto floating around to repair it.

Basically you buy a new aftermarket gauge, you stick the capillary tube in a bowl of water in the freezer overnight, then you prep your old gauge and cut the line from the frozen new gauge and solder them together.

The liquid in the line gets sucked into the capillary when cold, gives you time to cut and solder while it is encapsulated in a block of ice.

When thawed out it flows freely through the new line.

Much better instructions if you search for it, and after dinner will search some more and post if I find it.

Hmmmm..

I am going to have to try that trick someday!  Makes sense too...

I found this gauge on ebay which is listed as a temperature gauge for a 1935 PJ Plymouth. It is pricey but is said to be in good working order. Good luck to you.

John R

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1935-Plymouth-PJ-Temperature-Gauge-NEW-OLD-STOCK-635242/183084309688?epid=27015210686&hash=item2aa0acdcb8:g:iLkAAOSw6eZaixCk:sc:USPSPriority!02025!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0&vxp=mtr