new her 1935 plym busness coupe pj

kwisor

hello

I am redoing the 1935 plym busness coupe for my father in-law I need to repaint the steering column can it be removed from the gear box or do I have to remove the gear box also if so do I need a puller to pull the pitman arm, runs great but dyer need of restoring I am  sure I will have a lot of questions

thank you

kevin

IMG_0701.JPG

If the '35 is like the '33, removing the column from the steering gear box isn't really possible, at least not while things are in the car. The hex flats near the box are actually used to set bearing preload/lash.

There may be other ways, but I've always used a puller to get the pitman arm off the steering gear box.

• Like 1

Repainting the steering column jacket or outside tube I suppose is possible with the column still in the car if you mask up everything and if you used a small touch up spraygun or even an airbrush to enable you to get around the column.......trying to get access to the firewall side , well at least the side of the steering column in the engine compartment that faces the engine maybe problematic so yeh I would think to do a neat job would entail taking the steering column out.........which as Todd says will involve using a puller to remove the Pitman arm from the pitman shaft on the steering box then undo the steering wheel, undo the steering column drop or support at the dash and also remove the steering column/floor seal or pad then you should be able to remove the steering column with the box attached either from below or through the engine bay....as you appear to have the front clip off then it shouldn't be that much of an issue clearing everything.......then paint the column and installation is the reverse....I'd give the steering box a clean and at the very least a new pitman shaft seal whilst it is easily accessible...........btw welcome aboard from Oz....Andy Douglas.