Shackle torque

dodgemex53

not sure of the truck, most shackles and shock mound for that matter are set up with a larger shaft for the bushing and a shoulder for the thread nut that when assembled and tightened the nut and washer/side plate for most shackles,  are against the shoulder as ensures it is the designed squish of the bushing without distortion.

Shoot I was just happy mine went all the way home and got tight- after the fight the old ones gave me coming out I wasn’t too sure of the condition of the bores and the new ones went in a little stiff too.  I think they should be fine a little past snug? 

Sorry for the non-answer but I wouldn’t worry about it too much as long as it looks and feels right.

On my truck I didcas Tim suggested. I just made certain all was centered, the threads are large so if it gets snug before the shoulder is snug, remove and restart a half turn earlier or later. I don't recall how, but the bushings move the grease around as the shackles work. Someone may want to explain that. 

the shackles and shock bushing are an unmodified standard and is stock to the original manufacture so photographs of this is not usually of significance.  I did snoop about and found an example of the shock post, fixed length, bushing on, squish washers in place and the nut on with no shock to show you what will happen when tightened, the bush ends meet in the center and when tightened will compress and give a rise in the middle as they collapse.  This in turn will fill the cavity of the shock loop for a firm fully filled void.  The stops are there to prevent you from going further than this preset squish and damage the bushing in the process.

100_1457.JPG