Eneto-55

Do any of you all's titles give the original title date?  My Oklahoma title for my Evansville 46 Special De Luxe, SN 20182030, gives November 4, 1946 as the "date first sold".  

I'm curious if anyone has a 46 Evansville De Luxe for which the title gives that information.  My brother used to have the shell of one of these (it had been used as river bank erosion control), and its SN was 22046700, with the SN plate on the right A pillar, like the 42's.  (It was already missing the front clip, both rear fenders, and nearly all of the interior, so I thought at first that it was a 42 model.)  I do have some random parts from it, and there are differences between parts from that car and my Evansville 46 Special De Luxe.  I know that there were various differences between the two models, but one difference that surprises me is that the Special De Luxe interior light lens is secured in the light bezel via rolled "clips" in the inside of the bezel, while the De Luxe lens was leaded in.  It is not a later repair, either, because the lens bezel does not have any remnant of the rolled clips.  Maybe my Special De Luxe was just built a lot later than the De Luxe, so if there is any comparative information on that, I would also find that interesting, especially I've never seen another P15 with the SN plate on the Right A pillar.

It would also be interesting to compare original sale dates with anyone who has that information for their Evansville 46, especially if it has an SN close to mine, and was sold at some location perhaps much closer to Evansville (as opposed to relatively far-away Oklahoma).  Unfortunately I don't know in what part of Oklahoma my car was originally sold, and it is possible that if a car was ever re-titled in another state, that this information would not be carried over.  I know that I'll have to surrender my Oklahoma title when I title the car here in Ohio, and I don't know if they will include this information on the new title.  I just think it is an interesting bit of information to know.

8 hours ago, captden29 said:

Chrysler historical society may be able to provide you with a build sheet. it will have the date of first sale and where sold.    dennis

Thanks, Dennis.  I've read about that before, but I assume that there is a cost involved.  This particular car was scrapped years ago - I just have some random parts, and had recorded the SN, and wanted to compare approximate dates of manufacture (or first sale) just for curiosity sake, because of the differences I see from one car to the other.

I can only add what I found here in Texas, the title shows the date it was processed.

For example my 49 title showed the owner purchased it in 1970 from Brownwood motors.

Now the title shows my name and I purchased it from Earl G****** in 2018

Only dates shown, maybe if you had a 1 owner car it would show purchase date also in Texas.

Thanks everyone.

CaptDen -  Thanks.  Unfortunately that's too much to satisfy a curiosity (since the car I was wanting to compare to my own was scrapped years ago).

Los_Control - I'm really rather surprised that my title has this information, because I actually bought the car w/o a title, and my first application for lost title was based on the license plate number, which turned out to belong to another car.  (In Oklahoma the tag belongs to the vehicle, not the vehicle owner.)  I later applied again, w/o the tag information, and maybe it was a bit of an inside job, because my dad turned in the title search request through the dealership where he worked.  Anyway, they found it that time, and issued the title for me.  (Just had to purchase the license plate too - all of $4.10.  I kept it up to date until 1984, when I let it lapse.)

I'm just curious if this other P15, a De Luxe model, was manufactured so early that there were maybe some '42 parts used on it, or if they did that on the lower level model.

3 minutes ago, Eneto-55 said:

I'm just curious if this other P15, a De Luxe model, was manufactured so early that there were maybe some '42 parts used on it, or if they did that on the lower level model.

Not sure if this applies here either, I specifically like the 1949 dodge pilothouse 1/2 ton trucks, A 1948 would work as well, but a 1950 looks the same but does not have stainless steel grill and they went from the floor shift and floor E-brake last year 1949, 1950 they went to the column shift and E-brake under the dash.

And here I buy a 1949 pilothouse truck, and it has the next years model column shift and E-brake under the dash. The title says 1949 and it has the 49 SS grill, the serial number for the motor shows 1950 and it has the 1950 T172 motor and column shift transmission.

Just saying, the car manufacturers did whatever they wanted back then, they would use up last year parts before they switched to new model, or if they ran out of this year parts, they would switch to next year model parts.

Then another gotcha to look out for, if the vehicle was originally purchased by the military, they never bothered to title a vehicle until they sold the vehicle.

My Uncle recently sold a 1946 chevy 2 ton with 1946 title and X navy truck, serial numbers showed it was really a 1942 model.

Who knows, maybe one of the cars you are looking at was originally military? Just another possible explanation for differences.

I was just going by the SNs, and I don't know about military vehicles.

We had an off-topic (84 Olds 98) that my father-in-law gave us, and the AC gave out on a trip across Kansas & into Oklahoma.  A man in the congregation where I grew up in Oklahoma offered to fix it, so Dad & I went looking for parts.  My Dad-in-law hadn't purchased it new, but only a few years old at most.  It had the wrong year's AC compressor on it, and I think some other parts were different year, too.  Dad worked at the Olds dealership in Tulsa for years, and as I recall he said they did this sometimes - using up left-over parts from the previous year.  So it apparently wasn't just back long ago this was done.

Eneto-55,

I have a friend who has a ’69 Corvette, with an L-88 engine (1 of about 3K out of over 47K for that model year), but it had L-88 heads (1 of 8 out of that approx 3K), so the mis-matching of parts isn’t limited to any one manufacturer, nor to any specific period of time. Regards . . . Thx.