How to change your oil

Don Coatney

I did the Jiffy Lube thing for a few years on my newer vehicles... for the price I paid with the coupons they sent me I couldn't do it at home for less than what they charged me. The final straw was when they said I needed an "injector cleaner" done as my pickup was 5 years old but had only 35,000 miles. The "advisor" said he recommended it due to the age but I questioned that shouldn't it be done according to miles? Plus the other things they tried to sell that I really didn't need. I would tell my wife not to agree to ANYTHING extra they tried to sell without contacting me first.

Took my '51 Plymouth to a tire place as they had a special on a lube, oil, filter for something like 10 bucks. Furnished the filter as I knew they wouldn't have one. Didn't have straight 30w oil so told them to use 10w-30 and leave it a quart low for some STP.  They were done in less than 15 minutes, I told them that was pretty quick considering part of the special was a LUBE job and that there are probably 20+  grease zerks on the car. They brought the car back in and had me go under the lift and point out all the zerks they missed which was basically everything but the tie rod ends.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1