How to change your oil

Don Coatney

This came up on another website. The new owner of a P-15 asked "how hard is it to change oil myself on a 48 Plymouth". This was my response to him.

First buy a shop manual for your car. Use the manual to help locate the oil pan drain plug. Then buy a set of calipers to measure what wrench is required for the oil pan drain plug. Then buy the correct sized wrench. Then buy some shop rags and a drain pan of suitable size. Some hand cleaner always comes in handy and a pair of mechanics gloves if you are so inclined to use them. Buy a suitable floor jack and a good set of jack stands and a creeper. Go for a 20 mile drive to insure the engine is up to full operating temperature. Now you are ready to jack the car up, install the jack stands, lay back side down on the creeper, use the wrench to remove the oil pan drain plug being careful to insure the drain pan is located correctly under the oil pan and be careful to not drop the drain plug in the oil catch pan. Remove the plug and drain the oil making sure all the oil flows out before re-installing the oil pan drain plug. Once the oil is drained then open the hood. Use the shop manual to locate the oil breather tube that doubles as the oil fill tube. Use the shop manual to determine how much oil is required to fill the oil pan. Then do some internet research to decide exactly what oil you want to use in your engine. Add such oil as required. Then start your engine looking to insure the engine oil pressure comes up to the correct pressure. Then kill the engine and get on the creeper and check under the engine for leaks. If your engine has an oil filter then start a new thread on how to service the oil filter. Or you can forget all this and pay Jiffy Lube 25bucks and be done with it. Your choice.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

For over 50 years I did it myself. First of all, to save money, second of all to make sure it was done correctly, since I've seen or heard of instances when the drain plug wasn't tight, or the new oil wasn't poured in, etc. For the past 10 years I couldn't be bothered with all the hassels involved, including laying on my back on the cold hard concrete and cleaning up the mess. So, even though it may not be Jiffy Lube, but some other place, like a dealer's, I'm fine w/spending the money and taking a break while they do the work & clean up. ?

2 hours ago, Dodgeed said:

I couldn't be bothered with all the hassels involved, including laying on my back on the cold hard concrete and cleaning up the mess.

I hope to someday soon get concrete   :D

I really think the oil change can not be done by any modern place properly.

All the things that go with the oil change, grease the front end zirks, the u-joints, spring shackles, water pump, few drops oil in the generator, distributor, speedometer ....

These kids at jiffy lube would have no clue on where to start .... then there is the oil filter ..... I really could not trust any of it to be done properly.

Although, if out on the highway mid trip and racking up the miles, a oil change is due. Sure whip on in and get er did, then later when you get home, get er done right.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

Now you are ready to jack the car up, install the jack stands, lay back side down on the creeper, use the wrench to remove the oil pan drain plug being careful to insure the drain pan is located correctly under the oil pan and be careful to not drop the drain plug in the oil catch pan

@Don Coatney can you please elaborate further on this, I have never been able to not drop it in the pan.....lol

• Like 1

Oh.... and maybe there's more to this scenario...hunting down a new proper sized copper gasket for the drain plug.

There goes another hour or more.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

I hope to someday soon get concrete   :D

I really think the oil change can not be done by any modern place properly.

All the things that go with the oil change, grease the front end zirks, the u-joints, spring shackles, water pump, few drops oil in the generator, distributor, speedometer ....

These kids at jiffy lube would have no clue on where to start .... then there is the oil filter ..... I really could not trust any of it to be done properly.

Although, if out on the highway mid trip and racking up the miles, a oil change is due. Sure whip on in and get er did, then later when you get home, get er done right.

For 14 years I worked in the fast lube industry here in the North West.

I managed a “Minit- lube” who was acquired by “Q-Lube” who was merged with “Jiffy-Lube”

I quit in 2000 because of the “extra sales” pressure we were supposed to obtain each day. (Just couldn’t bring myself to sell you something based on making the shops “average ticket” price higher)

Now, they offer more and more services and I don’t know if they specialize in anything.

it was a great place to work before when all we did was the lube, oil and filter and a few minor additions (wiper, air filters, gear box fluid changes etc.) best thing about working for them……I met Julie.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

dropping it in the pan is very possible and the odds are increased that you will do so based on the higher the temperature of the oil being drained....

That was always my experience too; the hotter the oil the more likely I'd drop the plug into the pan. It never failed. 

I'm sure there's a lot of forum members who have used one of the fast oil change franchises has a story to tell because of a bad experience. It's too bad that there is some disreputable business owners that ruin the name for their other associates...I avoid using them and change my own oil. My one experience was many years ago with one of the aforementioned franchises. My wife's car was due for an oil change, it was a Saturday and we were planning on leaving for a  vacation trip. I had been away working all week, was in a hurry and had a number of things to do prior to us leaving, one was getting a haircut. I went to a barber in the city and noticed one of the fast lube places was across the street. I dropped in and arranged for an oil change and I was back within the hour, the car was outside ready to be picked up. I paid for the service and left. The following day I popped the hood on the car and checked the oil level, while it was full, the oil was black. The oil filter had been changed but it appeared while they had installed a different oil filter ,they had neglected  to change the oil.Needless to say,I was rather steamed, I changed the oil myself before we left and kept a sample of the drained oil. When we returned from our trip I took my receipt along with the oil sample to the fast lube place, talked to the business owner and politely asked for a refund - he refused and asked me to leave the premises. Not about to let it slide, I got in touch with the district office of the franchise, they were apologetic and gave me a full refund. 

Edited by T120
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have never had a bad experience at one of those places, because I have never taken a vehicle to one.  (I got my first car when I was 21 - I am less than 2 weeks shy of 63 now.)  My wife used to tell me to take the cars there, but I like to take the time to let it drain, and look over the vehicle myself for anything else that might be going on.  They cannot afford to wait while the oil drips out.  I do it in the shop where I have my work place, so there are all kinds of things I can do while letting it drip out.  

One thing that is different than what people used to say, is warming the engine before draining the oil.  I think the idea was that by starting it up, you are just pumping oil back up to the top side, from which it would be drained down if it was done w/o starting the engine.  But I suppose that you get more of it out over all by having it hot, since probably more cold oil would stay in the bottom end (oil pan) than the amount of hot oil that would stay in the top end.  We did always let it drain for a long time when doing it cold, but maybe it's about the same - who knows?

I had my work car in the shop recently for some other work, and it kinda' got me a bit steamed up the way they looked for all kinds of other stuff to do to it.  They put on the bill some nonsense about the oil change being WAY over due.  Ha Ha.  They probably were looking at the oil change sticker from before I bought the car several years ago.  Yeah, it would be way over due.....  I told them when they called that I do all of that sort of thing myself, but they didn't listen - still wrote that nonsense on the work report.

• Like 1

My son took his '98 Grand Cerokee in to a local repair shop for a water pump replacement. They ordered a set of new tires for him and gave him a "needed repairs" list: Rear pinion seal. 4 rotors, & 4 sets of pads. Emergency brake shoes. Transfer case oil change. Engine oil change, and more. He cancelled the new tires after I explained the size of the price mark up and instead went to a tire shop, then came over many weekends in a row to use my level cement floor and borrow my tools. It was awesome to spend time with him and chat while he worked and learned. I wish I had his energy. 

Have not been back to a Jiffy Lube since the last visit had me super annoyed at their trying to sell ne every product & service they could think of ??

Edited by FlashBuddy
  • Like 1

I do my own on the hobby cars, ZTR mower, and other stuff.  I let a trusted shop do the daily drivers.

The theory of changing the oil when it is hot is all I ever knew.  On the stuff I do myself, I let it drain into a pan overnight and put a strip of red tape over the ignition switch to remind myself that it needs oil.  The red tape goes on before the oil plug comes out.

Edited by lonejacklarry

My stepson took the 4 year old Mercedes to the local quick change place. When he got back he told me it needed a new oil pan. Seems it was rusted out and leaking.

”What the heck are you talking about??!!”

He said that was discovered when they were changing the oil. 

Took him and the car back and the kids working there insisted that was the problem.  Over their objections I pulled it in and went down in their pit. Turns out they got the gasket folded over on the canister type oil filter

Made them get another filter for the gasket (they mistakenly thought I should pay for it), fixed it myself and left. Never again unless i’m Watching.

My motto is, “ Consider everyone incompetent until proven otherwise.” It’s served me well. 

1 hour ago, austinsailor said:

My motto is, “ Consider everyone incompetent until proven otherwise.” It’s served me well. 

consider everyone incompetent because they usually are...I've always said it cost me less to screw something up verse paying dearly for the next guy to screw it up for me...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FlashBuddy said:

My son took his '98 Grand Cerokee in to a local repair shop for a water pump replacement. They ordered a set of new tires for him and gave him a "needed repairs" list: Rear pinion seal. 4 rotors, & 4 sets of pads. Emergency brake shoes. Transfer case oil change. Engine oil change, and more. He cancelled the new tires after I explained the size of the price mark up and instead went to a tire shop, then came over many weekends in a row to use my level cement floor and borrow my tools. It was awesome to spend time with him and chat while he worked and learned. I wish I had his energy. 

Have not been back to a Jiffy Lube since the last visit had me super annoyed at their trying to sell ne every product & service they could think of ??

I can not remember how many years back it has been since I've been to a Jiffy Lube, or similar, kind of place. I'd have to be really in a major hurry, in dire straits, and temporarily insane. If its a neighborhood garage w/a good reputation, or a Dealer, I'll take any of my cars there, including the daily drivers and classics. But, I'd have to be outta my mind to go to any of the national chain quickie oil change places. ?

In this particular instance, his mother had sent him there before I heard anything about it. Later, I was with her when she insisted in going to a different one and have her oil changed. “They are professionals. They’ll do it right, “ says she. After a half hour of high pressure sales, and no concern about the oil it took or had been used previously, she finally got it. 

On 10/22/2018 at 4:32 PM, Brent B3B said:

For 14 years I worked in the fast lube industry here in the North West.

I managed a “Minit- lube” who was acquired by “Q-Lube” who was merged with “Jiffy-Lube”

.... best thing about working for them……I met Julie.

Having met Julie, I couldn't agree with you more. :)

Tim and Steph aka the 48Dodgers

• Thanks 1

Couple stories of same topic.  I was living out of town for a couple years and had no tools or place.  Took it to a 'LARGE' Ford ealership that my son always used for his.  Next day at work I noticed a huge leak and I took it over right away the 2 blocks they were distant from my work.  It was closing time so they kept my car and gave me a dealer loaner car.  Turned out they didnt get the old gasket off with the old filter and did what they called double gasketing it.  They apologized and it didnt hurt any yet so all was well.  IF I didn't park on cement and parked on dirt or grass as I generally do would never found it till too late.  I lost my premium oil and filter as I assume they used regular stuff.

Old mechanic in home town said his daughter generally had him change oil.  She was in a hurry and out of town so had quick change do it several times in a row.  Had Dad do it again and he says he took off the same filter he put on several changes ago.

Have seen them change the oil and not even check other fluid levels under the hood, so did they check other stuff, who knows, they dont allow you to watch, on purpose.

I heard a new rule they have.  They can not knock off slight dust out of an air filter, they MUST put a NEW one in only 

Oil changes at real gas stations don't guarantee things will go well.  Years ago, I had our local Mobil station change the oil in my wife's car.  They said the head was stripped on the original drain plug and installed a universal rubber plug that would be replaced with the proper one at the next oil change.  Next day, my wife called from her office to say there was a puddle of oil under her car.  The plug popped out.  I called the Mobil station and was promptly disconnected, so I called the Chevy (sorry if it's a dirty word!....) dealer and had them tow the car to their shop.  I had to leave work in Manhattan, go home to Staten Island, and drive to her office in Northern NJ to get her after work.

Luckily there was no engine damage; the dealer installed a new plug and refilled the oil.  The gas station guy refused to pay the bill, so I contacted Mobil directly (their main office was around the corner from where I worked so I went there in person).  I explained that I wanted the dealer's bill reimbursed or I'd take legal action.  A week later I had a check from Mobil.

31 years of driving so far. Have done countless oil changes in every vehicle I have ever owned. Add my wife's, and both of my son's cars. Add my mother-in-law's cars... That is a lot of oil changes. So far.. I have no intention of paying someone any time soon, to do a half-a**'d job of it for me. I taught my sons how to do things right themselves, and pocket the savings. It adds up to a lot of money over the decades. I enjoy the chance to get under my car and inspect things. Leaks, ball joint wear, tires, all that stuff and more. Then I plan to tackle those items that need addressing.

Most memorable oil change? My 1953 Fluid Torque Drive, 265 motor. The torque is engine oil fed. Every oil change I have to line up the torque drain plug and drain it too. The entire change take 13 quarts if I recall. 2nd most memorable? When my oldest son was ready to tackle his own oil changes alone. What a mess he made! LOL. Dirty and clean oil all over the place. He said I made it look easy. Pouring it in the fill spout, lining up the drain pan. Pulling the plug and not getting oil on me. I laughed when he spun off his filter and carried from the driveway into the garage. Open side down. He was cleaning up his mess for some time after the service was complete.

Recent oil changes in my "new to me" 3/4T diesel upp'd the game. Black dirty oil. Big drain plans. Bigger wrenches. Generally more grunting on bigger vehicles.  I enjoy the new challenges and learning. I just may well be happiest when I have completed my own vehicle repairs, folded my money in half, and put it back in my pocket. How very satisfying it is.

• Like 1

30 years ago I had an oil change franchise (don't remember the name) in south Texas, change the oil and do a tune up on our S10 Blazer (a couple years before we acquired our first old car).  I was still a trainee, we were living in an apartment, no garage, just a parking space, and I think I had maybe a screwdriver and a Crescent wrench for tools - moral of the story being that I couldn't do it myself.  They changed the oil all right, but couldn't get it to run after their tune-up.  I had to fix it on their shop floor - they had put all the plug wires in wrong.  So, 6 hours later, (all of which they charged me labor for), with the missus and shiny new daughter wailing about how late I was (cold dinner, etc.), I wandered back into the house.  No cell phones then, and the shop wouldn't let me call the house without charging me.  Next day I went to Sears, got a basic mechanic tool set, (which I still have),  and haven't let a shop do any of our routine maintenance since.  Our son works in the auto maintenance industry, I know most shops take great pains to do the jobs right.  None of the places he's ever worked has messed anything up.  But there are still bonehead techs and butthead managers out there.  Luckily, where we are now all the shops live primarily on their local reputation, even the franchises and dealerships (what few there are).   A sloppy tech or bad manager doesn't last long, if they do, that shop withers and dies. 

• Thanks 1

I recall once going to a quick oil change place. They wanted to sell me a new gas filter. The young tech told me he had training and knew by looking at the outside of the filter that it needed to be replaced. Not all shops are that bad.

I have an old friend that ran a quick change oil change place in Ohio. I once drove my P-15 from Tennessee to Ohio and stopped at his place for an oil and lube job. I gave the tech guy a lube chart for the car with locations for all 24 grease zerks and I handed him an oil filter as I know they do not have one in stock. I then went to the office and spent an hour or so talking to my old friend. I should mention he was the best man at my wedding and I was the best man at his. Once the work was completed I paid the fifteen bucks and hit the road. 

3 hours ago, Don Coatney said:

I recall once going to a quick oil change place. They wanted to sell me a new gas filter. The young tech told me he had training and knew by looking at the outside of the filter that it needed to be replaced. Not all shops are that bad.

I have an old friend that ran a quick change oil change place in Ohio. I once drove my P-15 from Tennessee to Ohio and stopped at his place for an oil and lube job. I gave the tech guy a lube chart for the car with locations for all 24 grease zerks and I handed him an oil filter as I know they do not have one in stock. I then went to the office and spent an hour or so talking to my old friend. I should mention he was the best man at my wedding and I was the best man at his. Once the work was completed I paid the fifteen bucks and hit the road. 

You know, that really is the way to handle having your old car/truck serviced at almost any place anymore, except for a Dealership maybe. If permitted, I stay w/the service tech and point out where the fittings are, etc. and the grade of oil I want, etc. all under the guise of being interested in looking over what's under my vehicle since I don't have a lift, but, in reality, its to keep an eye on what is going on.