dash knob removal

Peen

Can anyone tell me how to remove the headlight and panel light knobs from my 53 B4B ? I would also like to restore them to original condition. Haven't had this truck very long and am still learning how to fix it. Any info would be really appreciated. Trying to keep it as original as possible but don't know anyone in my area of West Central Ohio to talk to. Seems like they are very rare around this area. Thanks in advance. ( Peen )

Someone has designed a removal tool for these nuts that fits the four indents and has a hole down rather center for the post that sticks out when you unscrew the knobs.

The tool runs about $25 on EBay. Seems a bit high, but it works really well and I didn’t find a good alternative.

Regards, Bob

I took a stubby screw driver with the correct width blade and cut a slot in the middle of the blade to depth that would allow the shaft to insert with just a tad extra for engaging the driver blade into the slot of the slotted nut......quick and easy mod, beneficial tool for your inventory....

you can use screw driver of whatever length you got to spare, just I rarely use a stubby Yankee so it was the one to sacrifice.

grab the outer ring as Keven says and turn to the left.  It should unthread.  If not take some leather or rubber and wrap it around that ring and gently try to turn it with a pliers or channel locks.  If it doesn't turn easily you run the risk of damaging the half moon key in the knob or breaking the mating half moon tip off the cable