Red Ram Hemi engine size

Andydodge

This may sound like an unusual request however does anyone on this forum have access to a 240 or 270 cube Dodge Red Ram Hemi, the early/mid 50's small version of the mopar hemi.........what I'd like to know is the length and width of the valve or rocker covers in inches..........this is to answer a question regarding the scale size of the Red Ram Hemi that is in the AMT 1/25th scale plastic kit..........I can do the maths.........lol........I just need to know the rocker cover dimensions........here in Oz these engines are very uncommon, ie, were never sold or used here............thanks, Andy Douglas  

• Like 1

Andy, I don't have access to an actual Red Ram, but I am a modeler.  If you are talking about the engine in AMT's most recent release Ala Kart, when that kit came out all the reviewers thought the engine was out-of-scale (too small).  The Red Ram from the original early '60's AMT Trophy Series Ala Kart / 29 Ford double kit (which I bought way back when, and still have the block, heads and valve covers of) "looks right".

i'd be interested in seeing how your math turns out.

John......thanks but it needs to be the hemi........RNR...........yep, I have been having this argument since the "new" Ala Kart kit came out in the early 2000's........having a shop, Scale Automobilia from 1996 to 2016 gave me a different insight into modelling, a hobby I've had since I was about 7 yrs old..............lol...........I 1st built the original 2n1 Ala Kart kit back in the mid 60's and it was always a favourite of mine both in 1/25th and 1:1 scale........and didn't really think much about the engine size till the late 1990's when i obtained an old built Ala Kart from a mate in the USA who was a member of the StraightLine Modellers group.......I rebuilt & restored the model and about the same time AMT released their newly tooled 1957 Chrysler 300C  1/25th scale kit............this is where the "problem" arises...........both the 300C kit with its full size 392 Hemi and the original tooled 2n1 early 1960's kit Ala Kart with its"baby" 240 Hemi have rocker covers that are the same size.......so something is wrong somewhere.........then the "new" tooled Ala Kart came out in early 2000's with a "small" hemi that everyone reckoned was too small..............yet I am still waiting on finding out the exact size of a 240 or 270 cube Red Ram Hemi...........maybe the new kit engine was slightly undersized, however I don't think it is by the same margin that the original kits engine was oversized................lol..............I'm a modeller and I build models, sometimes I build straight out of the box and sometimes I'm the original anal modeller, an example is the 1957/58 318 DV800 Poly I mastered in resin and sold thru the sold thru the shop, see pic...............lol..............its just that everytime this discussion comes up no one seems to be prepared to offer actual measurements which would at the very least .......lol..........shut me up................lol.........BTW....I have a built original Ala Kart and a new tooled Ala Kart both sitting on the shelf beside a built AMT 1957 300C, and just checked all 3 engines.......lol.........and rest my case............lol............anyway anyone got some red Ram rocker covers they'd like to measure?.............Andy Douglas     

polysphereresinv8.jpg

Edited by Andydodge

I can get you the dims. later today.  If you didn't know, the valve covers are the same for all Dodge Red Ram Hemis, whether 241, 270, 315 or 325.  And, if you did not know, the Dodge early Hemis are about 1" shorter than the equivalent year DeSoto Hemis and about 2" shorter than the equivalent year Chrysler Hemis. 

Edited by mrwrstory
  • Like 1

Just happen to have the engine outta my car.

Valve cover - width (left to right) flange to flange 19"  width to vertical surfaces 18.19"

Valve cover - height (top to bottom) flange to flange 8"   height to vertical surfaces 7.19"

IMG_0375.JPG

If you need more, just give a shout.

Edited by mrwrstory
add text
  • Like 1

Mr Story...........you sir get the sloppy kiss.....WITH TONGUE!!!!!.............would you like it via this thread or would you prefer me to deliver it in person?...........lol.........mate, this is very much appreciated................btw what capacity is your engine and you are quite certain that all the Dodge Red Rams are the same physical size, just different bore & stroke?.........andyd.

• Haha 1

The engine shown was originally a 1956  315 Poly.  I bored it to 325 cu. in. and used the 325 pistons and Hemi heads from another engine I still have.  I also have a 270 and 241 and a buncha  bits and pieces in my stash that I accumulated over 20 years ago when no one wanted a little Hemi.

FYI - The '53 & '54  241s are the same.  The '55  270 is a different block because of the greater bore diameter however, they all have the same exterior dimensions, motor mount configuration and things like starter, cam shaft, waterpump and intake and exhaust manifolds interchange.  The only way to tell the engines apart is by serial # or by measuring bore diameter.

The '56  315 and '57  325 Hemis have similar bores to the earlier engines but a longer stroke.  Therefore the deck height is raised, (.625" if memory serves) and therefore the engine is a bit wider.  The heads are interchangeable ('tho the later model has larger valves and ports).  The motor mounts differ, flanges now cast into the block so ID easy.  The engines are the same length and the bell housings all have the same bolt pattern.

Maybe more info than you wanted.  Give a shout if you have other questions.

You're welcome to come visit me in So.Cal, escape the Aussie heat and partake of some SoCal Winter but,.....save the kiss!.

Edited by mrwrstory
added text

I'm the original anal modeller, an example is the 1957/58 318 DV800 Poly I mastered in resin and sold thru the sold thru the shop,  

Andy - is the resin poly kit still available somewhere?  Are you also responsible for the resin MoPar flathead stuff that I have purchased a couple of from Oz?  (I picked up separate heads and the full hopped up flathead)

RNR.........I mastered the engine using the AMT 71 Duster block, 57 Chrysler trans, intake, carbs& aircleaners, 60 Starliner exhaust manifold and various pieces of sheet plastic and the use of a tape measure as I have a 318 Poly in the Dodge and a spare one as well........then had it cast by Auslowe Model Products here in  Oz, Nigel Lowe only does truck stuff but as I knew him quite well he did a couple of runs for me of the engine........when i closed the shop in 2016 I decided that was it, I may have some bits but will have to check..........as you know the heads and rocker covers are the defining features so will see what I have.........I was unaware of anyone doing flathead 6 bits, that maybe The Parts Box as they were/are doing a large range of resin conversion parts...........and Bill(?) Story...........all that info is exactly what I have been trying to find for a while.........I really do appreciate your reply.....and I'll hold on the kiss............lol........thanks mate..........Andy Douglas 

Hi Andy,  dug thru my "motor" drawer and pulled out the resin flathead - I picked it up on Ebay recently  for a '54 Suburban project I started 10 years ago - it is from The Parts Box.  The finned head is available separately (I placed it on top of the block for the pic) - I picked up a couple (also on Ebay) and one will go in a planned model of my P12 (Motor City Resin '41 four door body that I'm modifying to a 2 dr sedan).  Too bad the KEW motor comes with a Torqueflite and not a R10!Flatie.JPG.973064d2915767a5e7f1c0ccc13d82e7.JPG

Edited by RNR1957NYer
auto fill spelling

RNR............I hope you know that as they list it as a KEW then its a 218/228/250 or 265, a 25" long engine so you'll have to move the radiator forward........lol............well I think it'll fit no worries.........andyd.  

17 hours ago, 50 coupe said:

John, I have one of those in my garage. Contemplating putting it in my '50 Ply. Bus. Coupe. What do you have your motor in?

Right now it’s sitting in one of my unrestored 48 Dodge business coupes. It’s not running at the moment 

Just now, John32369 said:

Right now it’s sitting in one of my unrestored 48 Dodge business coupes. It’s not running at the moment 

Awesome. I really want to use that 270 but got to tear it down first to see if it is usable.

What motor mounts did you use? What Trans you using? Did you have to do any mods to the firewall or inner fenders? 

• Haha 1