Bench seat mounts

pflaming

I thought these were the correct bench seat mounts for a 53 Plymouth. Are they placed correctly or should they be reversed. Something is not correct. Per chance did they come out of my truck? 

IMG_5244.JPG

Edited by pflaming

Plymouthy taught me that the net is my friend. So found the answer, these mounts are correct.  Now will possibly have to get this seat bead blasted. 

Then learn how to sew. My wife knows how so will work with her.

IMG_5248.JPG

IMG_5246.JPG

After some more research I will reinforce that area of the floor for bench or bucket seats. Then I will use the available buckets and save me a ton of time and money. Later, the bench can still go in if preferred. 

Check your bucket brackets against the bench brackets.  They may not want to use the same mounting points.  Check your seat placement with the door closed.  Buckets tend to hang out a bit further  from the outer mount than a bench does and you don't want the door pushing against seat when it/s closed.  Installing belts, be sure to leave room for those as well.

• Like 1

Dave, good advise. I was planning to make dual mount holes or stub holes, as required. At 80, I  no longer put in 8+ hrs at a time. So do what the body allows. I'm not complaining, just saying it as it is. 

I have opened this posting separated from my build postings due to the specific nature of bucket seats. The bucket seats I'm using are 2010 Lincoln Town car seats. I paid $200 for the pair. I will dye them black/gray. 

The dimensions noted match those in my Honda Accord. I checked and the tray seat will flip forward and the drop down floor plate will flip down as designed as well.

IMG_5251.JPG

IMG_5252.JPG

Those should work nicwely. Power everything in those seats, maybe even heat.  Only thing I might do, if it were mine, would be to lose the headrest and pop in some plugs.  Your choice, your build, don't worry about the rest of us. 

I have a xtra cab chevy, somebody put some real nice bucket seats out of a Tahoe in it. But they fit really stupid in the truck because they do not fold forward more then 2 degrees and had no access to the back seat.

I found a guy parting out another chevy and grabbed the stock bench seat for my truck, much better and the guy took my bucket seats in trade + cash for the bench.

Now am tempted to go back and see what he would sell the bucket seats for ... he owns a mechanic shop and wheels deals.

Just feel silly selling them to him, then a month later come back and want to buy them  :P

My stock bench needs some rust repair, the bottom springs/cushion is missing, going to be some work putting it back together.

Dave, agreed on the head rests. They are wired for a computer screen, but kids any more use their devices so the headrests are safety only, yet too noticeable in this cabin. With the OE in storage, even the purist has an out if he wants one. The passenger seat will require some tilt forward mount. 

I'm partial to Chrysler mini-van middle row seats from a 'stow and go' optioned van. They have a folding arm rest on the side facing the center and the back folds flat down to the cushion.  And a lot of them are leather.  Those are in my ever-changing plan for my '56 PU.

Edit to add:  They also recline quite a ways, useful if you car has room for that,  my PU won't.

Edited by kencombs

It is easy to add bucket seat mounts. In the '53. The outer bench seat front mounts can be used, just add a second for the inner mount. For the bucket rear mounts, weld in a strong cross bar behind each bucket. The pic is a rough test, the seat is not in the correct place.  It will look differently when finished. The bench mounts have not been changed, so a bench can replace at any time.

IMG_5262.JPG

Edited by pflaming

• 4 weeks later...