Electronic ignition again

Doug&Deb

It's not surprising to hear about another failed Pertronix module, they are junk.  Before going back to points search slant 6 distributor mod here or Google.  Add a GM HEI module instead of the Mopar box and you have an ignition system that's light years ahead of the troublesome Pertronix.

Adam

• Like 1

I never got mine in service. I’m having my engine rebuilt and the module worked twice and hasn’t worked since. Pertronix is willing to send me a new module , I’m just not sure I will use it. Does the slant six mod work with a 6 volt positive ground? I’m not willing to convert to 12 volt.

24 minutes ago, Doug&Deb said:

I never got mine in service. I’m having my engine rebuilt and the module worked twice and hasn’t worked since. Pertronix is willing to send me a new module , I’m just not sure I will use it. Does the slant six mod work with a 6 volt positive ground? I’m not willing to convert to 12 volt.

No on the 6v you're better off sticking with points, much more reliable than Pertronix....

• Like 1

I have a 6V Pertronix system that has been in daily service for more than 4 years. Absolutely no issues at all. The problems I have heard of is when it is not used with a matched coil.....or if wiring used is the wrong size. Any piece of electronics is subject to failure if it is not installed properly. Having made this mod....successfully..... I would never consider going back to points. It is that good.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some people have had no problems with Pertronix but I’ve heard more bad news than good on this forum. I’ll wait until it’s time for a tuneup and decide to convert or not. I had no problems with the points just looking to simplify maintenance. Btw I do have the correct coil and wires. Pertronix agrees that the module is bad. They’re going to stand behind the product so no complaints about them. 

I have a Pertronics igniter in my 48 Dodge 6 volt positive ground. The unit was installed in the car when I bought it a couple years ago. No problems to date. I bought the car from a friend and he installed the unit about 10 or so years ago. I have not yet driven this car very far from home but I trust it is up for the challenge. 

001_15.jpg

I've had Pertronics ignition on my truck for a couple years now and no issues. Even completed a 1900 mile round trip to TN with it last month without a hitch. I haven't seen a significant difference in performance over the points, but I also know I don't have to check and adjust it periodically.

2 minutes ago, Merle Coggins said:

I've had Pertronics ignition on my truck for a couple years now and no issues. Even completed a 1900 mile round trip to TN with it last month without a hitch. I haven't seen a significant difference in performance over the points, but I also know I don't have to check and adjust it periodically.

that is your single biggest difference in performance...you not having to PERFORM frequent tune ups as there is no wear issues as with points....my only exception to the Petronix is lack of over the counter purchase in case of failure....

I have run  Pertronix In my '28 for a couple years with no issues and I do wedding gigs most weekends, so reliability is very important to me. I do keep the points and condenser in the trunk just in case, it's a 10 minute swap back. Yes, having the correct ohm coil is important according to Pertronix.

10 minutes ago, maok said:

I have run  Pertronix In my '28 for a couple years with no issues and I do wedding gigs most weekends, so reliability is very important to me. I do keep the points and condenser in the trunk just in case, it's a 10 minute swap back. Yes, having the correct ohm coil is important according to Pertronix.

Pertronix has worked well for me 8yrs. in my 50 Ply. 0 problems, period but I always have a rebuilt stock dist. in the trunk for insurance when out of town.

I have installed several for friends in their cars and even in a boat once!

Doug&Deb- -  put the Pertronix in the motor and a serviced stocker point plate in the trunk with whatever tools needed to make a change back over If ever needed.

My one opinion .

DJ

I see people on here talking about how their Pertronix modules have run 4,6, or even 10 years with no problems. Big Deal. When I got my car in 1987, I performed a regular old ignition tune-up on the stock distributor. You know, points, condenser, rotor, and spark plugs (the cap and wires looked good, so I kept them). In 2016, after almost 20,000 miles, the engine started making a funny noise so I pulled it and replaced it with another I had that was slightly hopped up and had a Mallory dual point distributor. The car had not skipped a beat during the 29 years I had the points ignition in it. Sure, the mileage is kinda low, but for the kind of use these kinds of cars get these days, it's probably pretty typical. I looked the distributor on the first engine over, and the points still looked fine.

Pertronix (especially 6 volt versions) are a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist.

Edited by Tubman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well I do carry a spare module. Just have not needed it. I do the same with other items too like fuel pumps and filters....stuff that isn't on the shelves too often. Got if I need it..... but I haven't.

One tip I have heard is that sometimes the module can be damaged by using old ignition switches that may have high resistance etc.... I can't say for certain but my set up is 100% reliable. To add to what Merle mentioned the inside of the distributor cap and rotor on my truck looks brand new so things stay a lot cleaner and that is good too.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

I agree that a distributor with single and or dual points is very reliable. All old mopars I have had in my lifetime has a distributor with points except the one I own now. The benefit of an electronic ignition is there is no points to wear out and once the timing is set you can forget it. 

• Like 1

It's good to hear everyone's opinions.  For me, I've had quite a number of bad points over the years on different cars.  Even a few that were brand new and bad off the shelf.  I've had my Pertronix kit (6V) in the Meadowbrook since May 2017 with no issues.  Around 8K on the engine rebuild and kit.

I converted over to 12 volts negative ground and a single wire alternator. All my wiring needed to be replaced anyway so I switched anticipating future upgrades. I'm using a HEI distributor from Tom Landon. Easy installation and working great.

1 hour ago, chrysler1941 said:

Electronic ignition will not work for long with Fluid Drive due to ignition coil being grounded during downshifts.  

Once again fluid drive is not a transmission but a fluid coupling between the engine and the transmission. Not all transmissions connected to a fluid drive require the engine coil to be grounded for downshifts. Please state what transmission you have and why you feel the electronic ignition will not work for long? 

45 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

Once again fluid drive is not a transmission but a fluid coupling between the engine and the transmission. Not all transmissions connected to a fluid drive require the engine coil to be grounded for downshifts. Please state what transmission you have and why you feel the electronic ignition will not work for long? 

You are absolutely right, it's not. I should've written Vacamatic transmission M4 and the hydraulic operated transmissions M5/M6.

During downshift, the mechanical relay grounds the ignition coil momentarily, which also grounds the ignitor as Pretronix call them. Ignitor other lead goes to "hot" i.e. the ignition switch. So basically it will be short circuited.  

4 minutes ago, chrysler1941 said:

You are absolutely right, it's not. I should've written Vacamatic transmission M4 and the hydraulic operated transmissions M5/M6.

During downshift, the mechanical relay grounds the ignition coil momentarily, which also grounds the ignitor as Pretronix call them. Ignitor other lead goes to "hot" i.e. the ignition switch. So basically it will be short circuited.  

Does that differ from turning the ignition switch off and back on?