B3B Bed Hardware Question

I'm starting to lay out the boards for the bed and to inventory the hardware I bought from Horkey's. But along with the boards came a couple of black rubber "cushions" that I can't figure out. I spoke to Horkey directly, but I still can't understand where they go. I'm told they fit under the third steel crossmember (the one that isn't bolted to the frame), but if I place them there, they will raise the third crossmember 3/4 of and inch higher off the frame than the other three crossmember. That doesn't make sense to me. Anyone have a clue?

20181017_052845_resized.jpg.c4fce346136dff484d12e81a8b58c973.jpg

20181017_052706_resized.jpg.064f48e59e8a5aff675925912093b127.jpg

That's what I don't understand. Your link photos show much thinner isolator pads not to mention the fact that Horkey only sent two isolators, not eight which is what I would expect for four crossmember. So I'll get back to Horkey again. I'll post an explanation once I have some better information.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B

I have questions myself about the construction/placement of the 3rd rail.

I have a photo below of mine as is .... as far as I know, the only thing missing is the wood. That leaves the 3rd rail swinging in the breeze hanging off of the wood flooring.

You also have the center support for the tailgate mounted to the 3rd rail there.

Simply to much weight on the wood with no support, in this old carpenters opinion.

Hoping you find out some more info and come back and share it, I chose to follow this thread in search of info.

You see in my photo, I can stick a 4x4 under the brace and just right to add 3/4" flooring ... imho your rubber bumpers are to short.

What supports the 3rd rail so it is just not hanging off the wood floor?

IMG_20181005_133537667.jpg

I finally have some good information after talking to Bruce Horkey directly. The Pilothouse series was designed with four steel crossmembers supporting the wood planks which are 3/4 in thick. Front to rear (I call them # 1 to #4), the first three crossmembers are 48 5/8 in. long and the rearmost crossmember (closest to the tailgate) is only 40 1/8 in. long. The first two crossmember are bolted to the frame using bolts that fit through large 3 in. diameter washers. Crossmember number three is kind of odd because it is a floater. It does not bolt to the frame. The only bolts that hold it in place are the bolts that pass through the skid strip holes directly above it. The rearmost crossmember also bolts to the frame using the same bolts and large 3 in. washers as crossmembers #1 and # 2. Dodge realized that it had to cushion the four crossmember from riding directly on the frame so crossmember #1, #2, and #4 were cushioned by 1/4 in. thick square-shaped insulators made of some kind of waterproof material. Crossmember #3 was supported by two 1/4 in. thick round rubber insulators which were not bolted to anything. Instead, the #3 rubber insulators are held in place by nubs molded onto one side that are inserted either into holes in the crossmember (nubs up) or the holes in the frame (nubs down). Either way is OK since there is no way for them to fall out because the nubs hold the rubber insulators firmly in place.

The rubber insulators I posted in my original post are incorrect. At 3/4 in, they are too thick. Horkey is sending me the correct 1/4 in. thick rubber ones along with six 1/4 in. thick waterproof cotton insulators for the other three crossmembers. Horkey's stocks all the parts for Pilothouse beds and has been very responsive and easy to work with.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, but they sent me the correct rubber pads (1/4 in thick) and twelve waterproof cotton isolators (more than enough) free of charge along with free overnight shipping. They realized their error and more than made up for it. Going the extra mile to make things right is not too common these days. I'd definitely do business with Horkey's again.

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's a photo of the correct-type bed crossmember isolators I got from Horkey's. Again, the two round ones fit under crossmember 3. It takes two of the rectangular isolators stacked one on top of the other to equal the thickness of a round rubber isolator. So, a total of twelve rectangular isolators are needed to isolate  crossmembers 1,2, and 4 from the frame.

20181019_065052_resized.jpg

Edited by Jocko_51_B3B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1