35’ Plymouth PJ Rear Outer Axle Seals

Frieda PJ

The hub must be tight, also the axle bearings and end play must be on specs.   Check the surface on the hub where the keyway could interfere with the seal.

• Like 1

Just a WAG here,but is there ANY possibility your rear is from another year,or even another model Mopar,and this is why the seals aren't lasting?

Like I said,just a guess. For all I know,all of them are the same in the 30's and 40's.

13 hours ago, dpollo said:

The hub must be tight, also the axle bearings and end play must be on specs.   Check the surface on the hub where the keyway could interfere with the seal.

Agree with this. . . Look carefully at the surface on the hub/drum that the seal rides on and verify that it is smooth. On my '33 I had one that I had to install a speedi-sleeve on to keep the seal from failing immediately.

Can you provide me with the appropriate 1935  Plymouth number from your parts book. I can then look up the Victor and or National Oil seal number that would be the correct number.

This is Rich Hartung and I live near Valley Forge Pa near Audubon PA.

Also will you be going to the PA historical car show this sunday at the Del County Community College.?

email desoto1939@aol.com     cell 484-431-8157

If I've transcribed things in to my database correctly, information on the '35 Plymouth rear axle seals should be at https://www.ply33.com/Parts/group3#3-F

And it looks like the '34 and '35 use the same seal. Not sure how much different that is from the '33 but the '33 and '34 are very similar beasts mechanically so the actual seal may be the same. Anyway, the '34 and '35 part number for the service package (seal and gasket) is 891439 https://www.ply33.com/Parts/group3#891439 while the seal alone is 618240.

Looks like the gasket is the same as for 1933. I wonder what the difference between the '33 and '34 seals is. . . For what its worth, I documented the replacement of the old style leather seal with a modern on at https://www.ply33.com/Repair/axle_seal/

Todd I am wonder if the owner might have put on the 1936 and up rear outer oil seal instead of the 35 oil seal. They are a different number per my national and victor gasket information.  Hopefully the owner will let us know the number of the oil seal that he used.

Rich Hartung 

Hello gentlemen,

Thank you for your responses.  Was not happy with the braking power..weak....Inspected the brakes...found shredded/popped outer seals...looked fairly new...like the previous owner replaced them...also found a good quantity of gear oil from leaky inner seals....not properly installed....I installed NOS inner seals...they are holding up....

I have purchased replacement outer seals from Bernbaum and DCM that are supposed to fit the ‘35....they popped....

I recently bought a rear end ....I was mainly after the brake drums....it is tough to find drums....the current drums are slightly warped and cracked.....judging by the number on the differential case for the car and the recent purchase ...it is the correct number....

The part number for  “Axle driveshaft oil washer assembly-outside” is #660156....

Oil Seal Retainer gasket....#600243....

I will heed your advice/suggestions....see what works.....:) Might take a while....

Thanks again....

Richard

I checked on ebay there are acouple of oil seals: 

1934 1935 Plymouth Dodge Chrysler deSoto NOS Axle Oil Seal OEM MoPaR #891439  So you state that the  outer seals are shreding apart. This seal bolts to theouter endge of the backing plate.  Did you soak the leather oil seal in any oil to soften the leather.  for the leather to shred the axle would have to be moving to touch the leather. Also sounds as if the previous owner put too much grease or oil in the drive shaft. there are two bolts on the inside of the alxle that permit you to lube the inner bearing Do NOT Do not use a lub gun the proper way is to remove the two bolts then puch with you finger the greae into the hole and over filing the differential will puch the oil out the end of the axle shaft.  Call me I live in Valley forge so can provide you with more information.

Below is a picrue of the correct outer oil seal. Also there is an inner oil sealthat goes behind this seal to also help prevent oil leakage. I think I have those inner seal in my parts. contact

Rich    D e s o t o1939@aol.com    cell 484-431-8157

1934-1935-Plymouth-Dodge-Chrysler-deSoto-NOS-Axle-Oil-Seal-OEM-MoPaR-891439