Should I Attempt Carb Rebuild?

shedhouselife

Give it a shot, I ordered a kit from rockauto, here is a couple short videos you can watch to see whats what.

They are a real simple carb, I did mine yesterday, it ran ok and did not leak but thought would go ahead and rebuild it as I just bought the truck.

It was very dirty and gummed up, but everything was in such good condition, I ended up just disassembly and clean and reassemble.

Carb rebuild part 1
https://youtu.be/Qg19Cz2dWAI

Carb rebuild part 2

45 minutes ago, Los_Control said:

Give it a shot, I ordered a kit from rockauto, here is a couple short videos you can watch to see whats what.

They are a real simple carb, I did mine yesterday, it ran ok and did not leak but thought would go ahead and rebuild it as I just bought the truck.

It was very dirty and gummed up, but everything was in such good condition, I ended up just disassembly and clean and reassemble.

Carb rebuild part 1
https://youtu.be/Qg19Cz2dWAI

Carb rebuild part 2

Thanks a lot!

do not remove the venturi tube that is installed inthe carb body. You willneed the Carter special tool to do this and the tube is very thin brass.

Suggest that you either get an egg carton or a plastic medicine drung holder that has the compartments for each day of the week.

When taking the carb apart put each part into a seperate section so that you can then reaasemble inthe reverse order.  This is really important when taking the two small balls out of the body becasue they are different is size and if you put them in inthe incorrect order the carb will not work.

If you can get a carter specific kit for your carb they have the instruction sheet inthe carb box.  Let me know which carb you have the number is stampped onthe flange such as ENC3.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

I use general purpose lacquer thinner in a large bowl and a brush, gets the outside crap off, then tip out the dirty stuff, then a new amount of thinner,  brush on again and you should have a nice clean outside.......let dry, shouldn't be too long then disasemble noting where everything goes and was, maybe another brush inside with lacquer thinner, let dry .......install new parts, gaskets and reassemble....maybe gently run the carby mating surfaces over a flat piece of 600 grit wet & dry to true the mating surfaces..........generally speaking if it ran before it should run now, hopefully better if a new needle & seat and float adjusted correctly, if not adjust accordingly.........these are a simple carby........andyd    

• Like 1

Do all disassembly/ re-assembly over a clean white towel or rough white sheet so you can easily see all the small parts especially when something falls out.... you will catch it on the cloth and not be on your hands and knees looking for that small check ball.

• Like 4

I just rebuilt a pair of Stromberg CD150's...I use a small magnetic dish that was free from Harbor Freight for laying my screws and clips into.....I also have a small work table that is stainless with just a bit of a built in ridge around the top that prevents roll off of most items.   It is just right height for carb work while seated in my chair.  So far I have worked a number of carbs in the AC comfort of the small machine shop out back.  Still got a set of Weber IDF 40's to assemble.  

• Like 1

One thing I did was take extra time with carb cleaner and small brass brushes, got all the loose dirt from the outside, before opening it up.

When I built my workbench, I put in a toe kick and a lower shelf, no space for things to roll under.

And yes I was down on my knees searching for a ball, but it was not under the bench  :)

• 3 months later...
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:54 PM, desoto1939 said:

do not remove the venturi tube that is installed inthe carb body. You willneed the Carter special tool to do this and the tube is very thin brass.

Suggest that you either get an egg carton or a plastic medicine drung holder that has the compartments for each day of the week.

When taking the carb apart put each part into a seperate section so that you can then reaasemble inthe reverse order.  This is really important when taking the two small balls out of the body becasue they are different is size and if you put them in inthe incorrect order the carb will not work.

If you can get a carter specific kit for your carb they have the instruction sheet inthe carb box.  Let me know which carb you have the number is stampped onthe flange such as ENC3.

Rich HArtung

desoto1939@aol.com

Thanks a million!

If you go to the resource section in the downloads area there is a pictorial of rebuilding a B&B carb.  Take a look at it and see if you feel comfortable with tackling them with your skills and tools.

Edited by greg g

• 3 weeks later...