Pullin' the 218

50 coupe

I got the engine and transmission mount bolts out, shifter and clutch links unhooked but can't get the motor to move out. It is all lose but hanging up. Looks like I can't get the transmission up over the cross member. Is there a trick or do I need to pull the transmission from the bell housing to get the motor out??

IMG_2842.jpg

Pull the trans too.

Drive line disconnected- hate to ask-but??

DJ

Does the front lift at all with the hoist beyond removing the weight of the motor?

Jack up under the tranny does it lift up?

Just some checks.

DJ

Total weight with engine, bellhousing and gearbox maybe an issue........but.........have you inserted a large screwdriver or crowbar between the bellhousing mount and crossmember as they can sometimes get "stuck" to each other even with the bolts removed..........same with the front mount where it attaches via the upturned "U" bolts or sometimes the replcement is just 2 bolts on each side into the front crossmember.........it maybe easier to get the gearbox to clear the bellhousing crossmember by removing the gearbox......otherwise so long as the engine lift is no overweight then it should come out............lol............andyd 

Yes, I removed the motor mount u-bolts. The motor lifts up off the front cross member and it is not hanging up on the trans mounts. It is more like there isn't enough clearance above the transmission/e-brake drum and the bottom of the floor to get the trans. over the trans cross member. I might try just attaching the lift chain to the front two head bolts and see if I can pull it up enough to drag it over the trans cross member then attach the chains to the back two head bolts to lift out. If that doesn't work I will pull the trans.

This may be a dumb question but... does the clutch linkage attach directly to the throw out fork? When I looked under the car, it appears that the ball on the linkage just sets in the socket but there isn't anything bolted or cotter-pinned together. There is a lot of gunk on things but wondering if something is still attached there that I am missing?

• 2 weeks later...