Where did they come from?

Russell Winje

I started wondering where this 49 may have been made. VIN#  7099948 .  I expected to see that they were all made back east/mid west, then found that Chrysler had CA plants in 1949.  I wondered if there was a way to trace the origin of a car by VIN number?  Also found that one CA plant is now a source of Tesla Model 3 productions.  I found that of interest because we are a Tesla Destination Charging station, one of the most remote in fact.

Chrysler Historical Society, part of FCA has a division for tracing the history of the vehicle and providing a build card I think they also can tell you the dealer it was shipped to even if special order it had a destination listed.

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

6,XXX,XXX  Chrysler series vehicle from 1949 were from the Los Angeles plant

7,XXX,XXX  Chrysler series vehicle from 1949 were from the Detroit plant

EDIT: Talking Chrysler. Not Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto

Edited by _shel_ny
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Russell Winje said:

I started wondering where this 49 may have been made. VIN#  7099948 .  I expected to see that they were all made back east/mid west, then found that Chrysler had CA plants in 1949.  I wondered if there was a way to trace the origin of a car by VIN number?  Also found that one CA plant is now a source of Tesla Model 3 productions.  I found that of interest because we are a Tesla Destination Charging station, one of the most remote in fact.

It must be your destiny.....

I know that List Angeles had a plant in the late 1930's...  Figured that one out while researching my 1938 Plymouth Truck.

On 10/14/2018 at 9:13 AM, Russell Winje said:

On 10/14/2018 at 1:05 PM, _shel_ny said:

6,XXX,XXX  Chrysler series vehicle from 1949 were from the Los Angeles plant

7,XXX,XXX  Chrysler series vehicle from 1949 were from the Detroit plant

EDIT: Talking Chrysler. Not Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto

Concur about the serial numbers. For what it is worth, here is what my serial/VIN decoder has for the car:

Serial Number 7099948
Found in range 7094001 to 7118581
Serial 5948 of 24581
Year 1949
Make Chrysler
Model Name New Yorker
Model Code C46-2
Engine 8 cylinder 323.5 cu. In. L-head
Wheelbase 131 1/2 inches

If you do get the "build card" from Chrysler Historical it will probably have the dealer the car was shipped to. At least the build card for my car has that.

The Tesla factory in Fremont was formerly a joint GM/Toyota plant. I believe the Chrysler plant was in San Leandro a bit further north up the bay.