Water pump grease?

Dan Hiebert

Greetings and salutations!  I've started working on the '37 Terraplane.  (Woo-hoo!)  I've replaced the water pump, and my Motors manual calls for filling it with "water pump grease".  It does have a grease fitting on it.  Guess what is getting blank looks when I ask for it at the local auto parts stores.  Question is, if I can't specifically find "water pump grease", would the water-proof grease used in boat trailer wheel bearings work?  What recommendations do you'uns have?

I used Penrite water pump grease in my '28 but I cannot find it on their website. Someone on another forum mention that it was discontinued...☹️

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RX1793 new or.....

Lots of it on Ebay but watch what you buy...

I bought a gallon can of it for $25.00 a couple years ago.

• Like 1

Thankee kindly for the responses.  I hadn't thought of someplace other than auto parts stores, Tractor Supply might have some for non automotive water pumps.  Either way, water-proof grease seems to the be answer.

Edited by Dan Hiebert

Is marine grease good for both bronze bushings and roller/ ball beraings?

Some greases don't work well with bronze or any Oilite bushings.

Mostly unknown on my part.  Oilite would be a no, though, that is already permeated with lubricant and grease would ruin it.  The marine grease found at TSC specifies it has a "trade secret" formula to keep the grease from washing out, with no warnings as to what not to use it on.  Probably has an ingredient or two that prevents the grease from emulsifying with water, it does say it's a petroleum product.  Its stated use is on anything requiring grease that may be exposed to water, which includes wheel (roller) bearings