Trunk Weatherstripping

Dennis Detweiler

The first photo doesn't allow the lid to close. I'm assuming the second photo is the correct position to install the weatherstripping?  However, the lid flange isn't consistent with it's position in the channel all the way around  the trunk. Sometimes it's more in the center of the channel. Does anyone have experience in installing it?

Too Tall.JPG

002.JPG

004.JPG

003.JPG

Edited by Dennis Detweiler
extra photos

I considered that also and still open to that idea. The weatherstripping that I got from Bernbaum is also available on a few other websites. One site touts rave reviews with years of satisfied buyers. I tried and failed to find a clear on-line photo of a late 30's Plymouth trunk in the open position. My car had a chunk of square rubber glued into the channel along with some black silicone in some of the gaps which didn't look to be a factory installation. I'm sure the design of this weatherstripping has a specific placement for effectiveness.

If it is placed onto the trunk lid, I would assume the "arrow" point of the stripping would go into the corner of the lid?

Edited by Dennis Detweiler
more info

I already have a short roll of the contoured style in my photo. So, I'm trying to figure out how it lays in the trough. Someone had installed the square style years ago, but they also added black silicone caulk along the edges of it at some point in time. I'm assuming it had developed some leaks? The bottom sill trough is a little narrower fit than the sides and top. I'm not sure how to deal with that. Some experimenting.

I would have thought that it would be better to glue the rubber seal onto the trunk lid as the rubber would then be pushed against the edge of the body trunk channel when the trunk lid is closed and as sits above the channel the chances of water getting into the rubber/trunk lid "interface" would be minimised and would allow the channel to do what I thought it was designed to do................channel the water to the bottom edge and out onto the body shell..........if the rubber is attached into the channel then wouldn't water have a tendency to seep into and under the rubber and maybe have a better chance of sitting there and causing rust?..............when I bought my car in 1971 the trunk lid had the remains of a rubber seal around its edge, in that pressed squared corner of the inner trunk lid panel and I have found that the replacement that I glued into the same area has seemed to work well over the past 40 or so years.........the attached pic shows the clear channel which goes around the bodies trunk opening.........yeh, I know it is an Oz 1940 Dodge styled body shell so maybe different to what you guys have but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents worth into the discussion...............andyd     

P1000810 (800x600).jpg

I have 2 P15s, an Evansville '46 and a Detroit 1st series 49.  The weatherstripping for the trunk is/was in the trough (on the body) on both of them.  (The 46 was driven into the early 70's, and the 49 was last tagged in 1960.)  I agree that the water would seem to flow out better if it were attached to the deck lid, but it appears to me that it was originally installed on the body side.

The jury is still out. I wish I could find a promotional advertisement for a 39 with a view of the opened trunk. The design of my claimed original style trunk weatherstripping and it's placement is still a guess. 39 was a transitional year for new ideas for Chrysler (two pole fuel sender and three pole fuel guage and shifter on the column using a cable and single shifter lever on the tranny. Maybe weatherstripping design and placement too? 1940 moved on to upgrades.

I have an original add for a 38 plymouth that sure looks like its on the trunk. Im 99.9% sure my car came from the factory with it on the trunk. It is an original low mileage car with mostly original paint. The weatherstripping appears to be rectangular and not shaped like yours in the photo.