50 Plymouth - New noise,, ?

Old Flathead

Just picked up a 50 Plymouth Special Deluxe 2 door coupe. Drove it on a 450 mile round trip with no issues. BUT, today I was driving and suddenly I heard a new and troubling sound. It was a sound that is similar to a heater fan running a high speed. The car ran ok, shifted ok but the sound was still there. I eliminated the heater fan as a cause but the sound persisted. The noise remains with the clutch in or out in neutral. Once back to the house, I shut it off and checked the fan belt,,, it was fine. I started it up again and drove around the block. The sound had gone away at first, then with a little acceleration, it returned. The noise is not there when revving the engine while parked but it is there when driving. Again, it sounds like a high speed fan that you hear above the normal engine sound.

So,,,,, what could it be? It sounds like it's about the same RPM as the engine. Could it be a clutch noise? Through out bearing?  I'll test drive it again tomorrow, not getting far from the house, and will get more of a description and more trouble shooting with clutch in, out, in neutral, driving in 1st, 2nd and 3rd,,, etc,,,..        Any idea's or thoughts?

It´s always difficult to determine a noise from a description. But of course also to describe ...

According to your writing I first would consider every sleeve bearing that is dependent on rpm and isn`t lubricated by the engine`s oiling system.

Eventually the water pump ...or the rear generator bearing (if you have the original gen). The last one did frequently show a squealing noise on my generator.

2 or 3 drops of sewing machine oil to the oiler on the rear of the gen and the bearing ran fine again. If this should be the source of your noise and it comes back after a short period of time, you probably have to swap that bearing.

Just a thought ..

Edited by PT81Jan

Thanks for your input. I agree with diagnosing from noise, then trying to describe it. I'll put the car on jack stands and listen some more. I'll also lube the generator bearing. I was told the engine and trans had been rebuilt, but that doesn't mean much. 

If I get more of a clue after today I may have more questions.

Thanks again,,,   

PT81Jan,,, You sir are a genius!  Added the sewing machine oil. Went on a test drive. I heard it briefly, then the sound went away. Drove it a few miles and the noise did not come back. 

Thanks!

And, Plymouthy Adams,,, thank you too!  Dropping the fan belt would have also isolated the problem. 

Sewing Machine Oil.JPG

• Thanks 1

You are welcome. This is why we all meet here in that forum. Swap experience and help each other in troubleshooting.

If you summarize all the issues that happened to the folks here you probably can get an answer for every single problem ?

Your description was pretty good, so lead into the right direction ...

• Like 1