FACEBOOK

DJ194950

My opinion on using Facebook Period! I gave it up long ago and when just trying to get off it I had to jump through many of their hoops to get it done but they sent emails for months about what I would be missing.- - - NOT. I like My personal info to stay mine much more!

Sorry the miss some info others post that have links to Facebook. I will just have to miss out.

DJ

18a09bc7d898b004617e23707347223b-facebook.jpg

Edited by DJ194950
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hard to talk facebook without talking politics, the reason, time that FB was created, it is absolutely terrible, it collects data from every individual signed up to it .... logged in or not. Then it uses that data for its own purposes.

Simple fact that the taxpayers dollars have gone into the creation of it, then it is used against us.

We simply have to use the tools we have, I use FB to fight the corruption of the system and fight fb itself.

I use it to spread the news of current events the news media will not cover.

Is it crooked? absolutely, so is google and twitter, any cell phone can be used against you ie listen in on your conversations etc...

Conversations are monitored by computers, they are listening for key words that may trigger further investigation for terrorist plots etc...

Only point I am trying to make, FB collects and shares data, if you think somehow you will have more privacy without it, I say maybe but probably not.

This is the world we live in today.

I say use it to your advantage to expose and fight them.

You may accidentally write the wrong words and get even more watching.

Posting different views is just asking for problems, Comrade!  ?

I only joke, but the watching may come be to true???

News- - don't believe anything I read and little of what I hear,  but that is another story. (non-political post I hope).  ?

DJ

I cancelled my account because of the dumb asses that use it.  When I advertised an item for sale I would get 4 or 5 responses regarding the availability.  Ok, fine.  Then they would ask what my bottom dollar would be.  When I asked what their top dollar would be they would get mad.

The other thing that was particularly obnoxious was their request to know shipping amounts but did not want to tell me their zip code.  Morons!   I finally figured a good round number and advertised stuff at a price that included "free" shipping.  More hassle with that idea.  

And, finally, they say they will buy and one of two things happen:  One the money order never comes or they send less figuring I would take less.  Now they were unhappy when I wouldn't send their money order back on my dime.

And then there is the political aspect.................................

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A old CBS article about it being political, is from 2011.

I am usually told my conspiracy theory is showing, when I connect Facebook to CIA, here CBS does it also.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/social-media-is-a-tool-of-the-cia-seriously/

And is my original point, like FB or not, if CIA is using it as a tool, they have 10 other tools that do the same thing, so why not just go ahead and enjoy FB?

Edited by Los_Control

I signed up on FB to meet girls...I mean, that's why zuckerberg put that devilish contraption together in the 1st place...amiright?? 

although these days I use it as a portal to play li'l old ladies on the Scrabble...it's a hoot :cool:

Edited by JBNeal
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JBNeal said:

I signed up on FB to meet girls...I mean, that's why zuckerberg put that devilish contraption together in the 1st place...amiright?? 

although these days I use it as a portal to play li'l old ladies on the Scrabble...it's a hoot :cool:

Hummm, My wife plays scrabble on faceplant...

• Haha 2

When it first came out years ago, I was on it mostly to find out about old friends who I'd lost touch with; but then all the political trash started to hit, and between that and receipts and pets, I've lost interest. I still check it maybe once a day, but hardly ever post anything. 

13 hours ago, lonejacklarry said:

I cancelled my account because of the dumb asses that use it.  When I advertised an item for sale I would get 4 or 5 responses regarding the availability.  Ok, fine.  Then they would ask what my bottom dollar would be.  When I asked what their top dollar would be they would get mad.

The other thing that was particularly obnoxious was their request to know shipping amounts but did not want to tell me their zip code.  Morons!   I finally figured a good round number and advertised stuff at a price that included "free" shipping.  More hassle with that idea.  

And, finally, they say they will buy and one of two things happen:  One the money order never comes or they send less figuring I would take less.  Now they were unhappy when I wouldn't send their money order back on my dime.

And then there is the political aspect.................................

The whole availability question thing is a default facebook response. I HATE getting them when I list things for sale.... but then I went to inquire about something and instead of it opening a message window up - it just automatically sent that message. VERY stupid.

When someone asks me my bottom dollar - I usually add money to my price (say 5 or 10%). 9 times out of 10 they don't notice the price went up. Sometimes they even ask more questions.

I have a friend is has been a senior software engineer for both Amazon and Google. He's well thought of in the industry and has authored a number of popular books on programming. A while back he told me when it comes to collecting and selling your personal data:

- Amazon is evil, but not too evil

- Google is evil

- Facebook is extremely evil. Never sign up for an account. So I haven't. And it's not just the info you give them. They cull info about you from all sorts of sources.

• Thanks 1

I would never have time to do anything if I were to go around and update all the accounts I get e-mails on that need security measures installed, limited access till I give them all my personal data and of course we are going to freeze  your assets at a bank I cannot even spell let alone do business with......worse than a lots of those scam calls where the IRS is going to put a lien on all  my stuff if I do not call back...well, come arrest my young butt....and then we got some that say "you can't talk to me like that", well, tough, you don't want to hear it..don't invade my privacy....mostly I just ignore all of it. 

I am not active on  FB...Don't look for me there.This is the only site that check with regularly - If you find  a reference to me elsewhere , please regard that as an imposter... or plagiarism .?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

I only talk to naked women......lol

Does your wife know about this or does she have permission to only talk to naked men?? lol

Does she go on Facebook when you are in the shop with a fresh cup of coffee?  ?

DJ

yes she knows I talk to naked women.....to be honest I only talk to about 4 women other than the wife and she will tell you straight out, I always ask them if they are naked.....she does have a facebook account....her reply when I just now asked her opinion about it, gawd awful stupid 95% of the time..but her sisters are on there...

• Haha 1

The only reason I go to Bookface is my kids and grandkids have a lot of pictures on there and activities I would never know about.  I do NOT participate in all the political stuff, I scroll past as soon as possible.  I do have the slight contact with people I went to school with 50 years ago which is nice.  The cartoons and funny stuff is okay.  Dont take anything very seriously.

I never participated in or  Facebook till I changed jobs in April.  I had an account for about a year before that I only used for the market place.  When I left my old job my buddies wanted to keep in touch and it seemed like a good tool for that. I guess it has been, but my biggest use is still the market place.