Gas Tank

Hello how is everyone? The other day I went to the gas station and filled up my truck. When I got home there was gas all over the front of the tank. Buddy of mine thinks I over filled the tank. Where would the gas escape from if you do? I checked the filler hose and didn't see anything. It was soaked from top to bottom of front of tank. 

I will be taking tank off and getting it cleaned and fixed if needed over the winter. 

1 minute ago, JBNeal said:

There should be an o-ring between the tank and the fuel level sending unit...

I didn't even think of that. I will check it out. I took the old one off the tank I had when I put new one in. Don't even no where you could find a new o-ring for it. 

3 hours ago, bambamshere said:

I didn't even think of that. I will check it out. I took the old one off the tank I had when I put new one in. Don't even no where you could find a new o-ring for it. 

Just make a new one from thicker gasket material, which you can get at any parts supplier

I may have a similar thing going on. When we returned from the WPC trip to TN I topped up the gas tank at the gas station near my house, so that I could do a full calculation of fuel use and mileage for the trip. For several days after that I would smell gas when I went out to the garage. I noticed gas dripping off the front mounting lip of the tank and realized that it was probably seeping out through fill neck area, thinking it was possibly a loose clamp on the filler hose. But now that I read this thread I'm thinking it was more likely the sender seal. I almost never park the truck with the tank that full, so I'm not going to dig into it right now.

Ya When I filled it up the first time I let it click once and left it like that. Then I went back to top it up for the winter and decided to let it click as many times as I could. I guess never having this problem I may have over filled it but good thing I did or I would have never found this problem to fix it. Still goimg to send it in to be cleaned. They will most likely take the sending unit out to clean it.