Gone but not forgotten

Don Coatney

at least it is breathing country air.....that has to account for something....I feel you going to enjoy that car....when I rode in it the car responded very nicely and sounds great, that T5 shifted so smooth and easily...no slop in the stick anywhere...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

at least it is breathing country air.....that has to account for something....I feel you going to enjoy that car....when I rode in it the car responded very nicely and sounds great, that T5 shifted so smooth and easily...no slop in the stick anywhere...

My farm shop is about 2 miles down the road from my home - when I got it off the trailer I took it for a quick drive down to the shop to unload some parts and sort out some stuff. On the way back home I leaned on her a bit and ran it up through 4th. Definitely a fine running example. I can't wait to get things buttoned up to take her for a proper ride.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I fondly remember when you were building that car and the friendly competition between you and Blueskies.  So many of your building lessons get resurrected to help others on a regular basis.

• Like 2

I'm also glad to see a forum member was in a position to buy Don's car, certainly one of the best documented powertrain builds on the forum. 

• Thanks 1

Wow Don...crazy way to get out of a head head race with me and The Brick....guess that just leaves the foot race from the curb to the pancake house!

Nice that it went to a forum member.

I see the ol'48 as an icon to the forum.

Tim aka 48Dodger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, T120 said:

I'm also glad to see a forum member was in a position to buy Don's car, certainly one of the best documented powertrain builds on the forum. 

I second that!

I told a friend who had just moved from Ca. to Ill. about 3-4 hr. drive from Don about his car for sale and he was interested but just having moved and looking for a house around Bloomington/Normal,Ill. it was just wrong time for him and wife.

This worked out as best outcome possible in my opinion!

DJ

I sure have learned a lot from that car!  Of course I mean from the step by step pics that were recorded through the build.  Like mentioned above, glad a forum member has purchased it. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Flatie46 said:

I sure have learned a lot from that car!  Of course I mean from the step by step pics that were recorded through the build.  Like mentioned above, glad a forum member has purchased it. 

When I get further into it, I'll start a thread on getting the wiring done, and some other little things that I am going to do. Right now my free time has been spent just trying to map out a path to getting the wiring done and road worthy. I think I have most of the stuff scratched out on a notepad in the couple of hours I have spent. Its very obvious Don had a lot of it already mapped out and started down the path.

No matter what I do though - I doubt I will ever come to the level of documentation that Don has done on this car. That is dedicated effort just by itself.

BTW Don - when you read this - do you recall what wire harness fuse block kit this is? I was hoping there was a nice diagram somewhere that mapped out which fuse was which without me having to map them and write them all down.

• Like 1

Don,  Gone but not forgotten...  Who can forget all the fun we had putting our cars together at the same time?  Especially the culmination of all that hard work and countless hours of bench racing here on the forum (seven years in fact...), THE BIG RACE in Tulsa, Ok.

THEBIGRACEsmall.jpg

I only wish we could have made the BIGGER RACE, and the BIGGEST RACE happen, but it was fun to imagine getting together again after Tulsa.

THEBIGGERRACE.jpg

THEBIGgerRACE3.jpg

Something I love most about old cars is the fact that they are vehicles for friendship more than anything else.  Your car will live on, creating connections for it's new owner, just as it did for you.  More than anything, your P15 allowed all of us here on the forum to get to know you, your talents as a mechanic, your ability to document and describe not only your own project, but endless help with everyone else's cars, your good humor, and your kindness.

Selling my Plymouth in 2010 was one of the hardest decisions ever, after putting ten years into building it.  My boys both cried, and I did too when I watched the car roll away into the sunset. The car was part of our family, the boys had never known a time without it.   Selling the car opened new doors though, and we've had many great projects since that we wouldn't have done if we hadn't sold the Plymouth first.

I hope the new owner can keep your P15 rolling like you did, maybe with proper footwear and less tools... :)

coatneystools.jpg

tulsatrip58.jpg

I'm happy to have had the privilege of meeting you through this forum, our cars, and all the years of BS.  It was great fun.

Pete

Edited by blueskies
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Rebel wiring. If I recall the wiring paper work is in the box with the Fuse block. Follow this link for more information. Every wire is marked for it intended function. I complete the wiring for the headlights/parking lights but I did this before I wanted to add turn signals so the parking lights need to have a dual element conversion. The instrument cluster wiring is complete and has been tested. When you get to the LED tail lights/brake lights I have a schematic I will post for them. I also have a schematic for the tachometer. 

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DonCoatney/library/Lights/Rebel Wires?sort=3&page=4

IMG_5428.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blueskies said:

Something I love most about old cars is the fact that they are vehicles for friendship more than anything else. 

Pete, Great to hear from you. I agree on the friendship thoughts. We had 10 years of great friendship with a lot of bickering laughs. Norms Coupe still owes us for this meal.

100_6063.jpg

Then we had fun in Boston.

bostoncoatney1.jpg

stance23.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Don. I saw the wires were labeled and that you had already started down the path of sorting them for how they need to be routed. I didn't see a wiring schematic, but I might have missed it. I did find the paperwork for wiring the taillights up in one of the boxes.

Pete/Don - it was many of those forum threads between the two of you that solidify my desire to rock out a "hot rod" flatty. I simply wasn't in a position to buy Pete's car when it came up for sale. It worked out for Don's car though. I'm going to get the wiring straightened out and then start putting miles on her like intended while I also start a push to get my Pilothouse finished with a very similar setup to what is in Don's old P15 (its always going to be Don's car - people are going to recognize it as that for years as I have no desire to do drastic changes to it, visiting rights are granted).

• Like 2